Looking for advice re: warning lights, tyres and noise.

Henri

Hi all,

B7 variant owner here. I have had the dreaded basket of errors associated with the speed monitor, ABS, Stop/Start, Autobrake, TCS and even once 'BRAKE see a workshop immediately'.

I have scanned my car and all of the errors refer back to the rear left speed monitor. However, it is intermittent and having read a few more of those issues on here it seems it is likely the wheel bearing that is croaking. Can someone please confirm if I am right in this thinking? It will be going to the workshop in a week, am I okay to continue using the car until then?

Secondly, this is a noisy car. Not the noisiest, but it is noisy. I understand that my best bet is to get new tyres to resolve this issue (done about 10k on mine), does anyone have any other suggestions to reduce road noise in the cabin? I was considering getting sound-isolating blankets for the boot, bonnet and all the footwells, has anyone done this or know where I can get this done and does it work?
Also, I checked my tyres and they are 235/45R17 97W (Sumitomo BC100) however all the searches I do online suggest I should have different tyres, either lower max load, or lower tyre width. How important is it that any new tyres match my current width/aspect/max load? I know I need to keep R17 the same for the sake of them sitting on the rims correctly but are the other values okay to change (provided the wheels remain within a few mm of the original total diameter right, so in theory 215/50R17 would be passable)?

Cheers all in advance.

Last edited:

Henri

Thanks, Crasher. To replace the magnetic ring do I need to replace the entire bearing?

Last edited:

Henri

Hi Crasher, can you advise me a brand for the bearing kit and sensor as my garage are quoting me £110 for the bearing kit and all the ones I can find with the same code (3G0598611a) are between £30-100, and the sensor they're quoting is £72 (WHT003859B), seems like they might be charging me for genuine VW parts. Or am I just being cheap?

Henri

Hi again,

So I DMed you the VIN and the garage have confirmed the parts quoted are genuine VW parts, in which case I think the price looks pretty good. But I was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives you would recommend?

Cheers

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Genuine the kit is £108.89+VAT, we have to do two on a CC next week; we stock the Febi kit which is £50 a side all in but Febi are out of stock of the bearing and sensor, thankfully we have them on the shelf. Just doing two on an A2 which is almost identical.