Lost clutch pedal

diyspanner

Polo TDI (cfwa engine)

The pedal simply does not come back up. Had to tow the car back to base.

Looking at the pedal lever, it seems to be the hydraulic type clutch.

The push rod is still attached to the pedal lever so can I presume the fluid has leaked?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you have an external slave cylinder and it has a revised part number, 6R0 721 261 B

bc710896001fe22be3ea9b73533b920d4343774c.jpg

diyspanner

Thanks Crasher.

I presume if I need a replacement slave cylinder, or perhaps master, I'll be safe with brands such as Sachs, TRW and febi?

diyspanner

If the gear selector linkage has to be removed to get the slave removed, is the the gearstick in neutral the best position?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I don't remember having to do that but on the box there is a neutral lock lever and under the gear lever, two holes which take a 5mm drill to hold it in neutral.

diyspanner

The culprit was the clip that holds the flexi into the slave's port. Basically a bit of rusty wire, a bodge job, that had allowed the pressure to force the pipe out of the port.

The proper clip is not available at VW so improvised with wrap wire as the locking clip and nyties to secure the flexi.

The hassle was getting the slave refitted then gravity bleeding to get the master pumping again.

Test driven and a nice clutch pedal.

diyspanner

Thanks for the part no Crasher.

I called in at the local VW and was advised the clip is not available by itself.

I got one from a breakers earlier today. The Polo had the same slave so its the right clip and in good condition. Once fitted, I'll coat it with grease so it doesn't rust and let pipe blow out again.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It annoys me when parts people are either incompetent or lazy, you only have to look at the parts system ETKA to see the clip is shown including the picture above.