MK2 Scirocco INFO?

Hyde

Hi
I'm building a MK2 Scirocco. I'm planning on getting the car on the road before any serious modifications.
I wanted to know if anyone has engine swapped with a 1.8T from the MK4 GTI?
Also would like to know if anyone has supercharged the original 1.8 carburettor engine from the scirocco?
Any info about either of my questions would be very appreciated.

Hyde

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I am just putting the finishing touches to the mechanical rebuild and modification of a customers 84 GTX before it goes for paint.

Fitting a 1.8T has been popular for 20 years now, I put a TT BAM engine in a Golf 1 what must be 15 years ago now

and as you will know, the Golf 1 and Scirocco 2 upto 84 are identical mechanically and almost identical upto 92. Lately it has become more popular, but much more complicated, to fit the Golf 5 EA113 engine or even the Golf 6 and 7 EA888 engines, there is a Facebook page dedicated to it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/391855057873252

Hyde

Thanks for replying to the post.
Do you have any information about the 1.8T from the mk4 golf? That's more in the price range I'm looking for. I was wondering if you need the whole ABS so i can have a working speedometer?
thanks

Hyde

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The technical name for the Golf 4 platform is PQ34 which was used under the Golf 4, Bora, first generation A3 and TT, the Octavia 1, New Beetle 1, Leon 1, Toledo 2. The easiest (but oldest) PQ34 1.8T to use in a Golf 1 is the AUG as it uses a cable throttle so you don’t have to make up an accelerator pedal bracket, which isn’t particularly hard to do so I would be inclined to go for the later units which as the rare ARZ and the later AUM. In the Octavia 1 VRS and Leon 1 Cupra, there was also a 180 BHP version but the Acura came with the large 6 speed 02M gearbox which would cause you many issues. The 150 Golf and 180 Octavia came with the 02J 5 speed box which was a development of the 02A and so you can unscrew the speed sensor and fit a Golf 1 or 2 084/085 (engines upto 1.3) speedo cable straight onto the box. Fitting the complete ABS system from the PQ34 (called the ATE Mk20 and later mk60) is possible (highly desirable in fact) but very hard work. In the Mk10 picture I posted I started with a Golf Rallye system but later changed to the Mk20 system from a Golf 3 and this is what I am using on a VR6 turbo Golf 2 I am building but the ECU’s are becoming a problem. On the Golf 1 platform the most difficult part of fitting ABS is mounting the wheel speed sensors on the front hub carriers, as the Golf 2 had ABS available from 89 this is easy. The rear brakes would need converting to discs using ABS suitable stub axles but that is an easy well trodden path. Overall I would expect the job being the most difficult to be the fuel pump if it is a post 84 Scirocco 2 carb model.