Mk4 Golf 1.4 hot start problems

kindredspirit

Golf starts good from cold, but if you try to start it from hot it churns over without firing. If it does start the revs are all over the place. (Up to 3000 revs). It settles down after about 5 mins. of driving (very carefully). I have heard that it could be the coolant temp sensor (the one from the top hose/thermostat housing) and have ordered a new one. I have no error warning lights.
If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation
John

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Certainly I would suspect the coolant temperature sensor of being faulty but I would recommend you have a fault code read done first.

kindredspirit

Thanks for your help.

Funny thing is, I went to our local friendly parts shop to get a quote for the coolant sensor. Matey unclipped the plug to see what shape and how many terminals it had. Then reclipped the plug. Starts fine now - could have been a duff connection. I'm still getting the new sensor (not tempting fate).

John :)

kindredspirit

There are two sensors - one supplies the gauge and the other one supplies the ECU. Can anyone tell me which one is connected to the ECU. I've got the green one (D shaped). which is underneath the other one I'm now really confused. Please help!!!!!

Cheers

John & Trish