MkII golf GTI 16v fuel pump 90 spec

jamie1982

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for a bit of help with the lift pump in tank and main pump underneath.

The car died on me a week ago and I thought it was the lift pump as i couldn't hear it and I checked wiring / relays and all were ok. I bought a new pump but when I went to fit it into the sender assembly the metal / rubber pipe that connects the outlet of the pump to the sender assembly was basically falling apart. I removed it completely and fitted a piece of rubber fuel hose in its place, does anyone know what function this metal / rubber ballon looking thing actually does and do I need it? The reason I ask is it's still not running although I can now hear the lift pump running. Also the main fuel pump used to make a very noticeable rattling / buzzing noise - this is now just a faint humming noise, when turning her over for a while the wires which run to the main pump get warm - could this mean it's a jammed / faulty main pump also? Surely I can't be so unlucky to have both pumps fail within a few days of each other, can I??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Jamie.
VWwelcome.gif

MkII Golf GTI which year?

There will only be one fuel pump usually in the tank where is this second main pump your talking about, cam you post a picture?

The connectors on the tank are normally quick fit so they can be reused if your changing the pump or sender unit.

jamie1982

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply, it's a 91 J reg, it's the KR engine. It has the lift pump in tank and a high pressure pump underneath

jamie1982

image-540839586.jpg

This is the pump in tank, the metal looking ballon connector at the top of the pump disintegrated when I tried to remove it so I replaced with a piece of rubber fuel pipe.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You say it is a 2 litre but the KR is a 1.8, this is what it should look like.

That connecting piece is a sound separator to make the lift pump quieter, it is VW part number 357 919 133 but went obsolete is 2013 and was £46.15 when last available from the UK dealers. They are available from VW Classic in Germany for €63.98 including postage. I usually replace them with a straight piece of pipe and two crimp clamps.

If that picture is of your main fuel pump assembly AND you definitely have a K-Jetronic injection KR engine then that is the wrong pump, it is for a Digifant system and the pressure it can deliver is too low, it should look like this

jamie1982

Crasher

Thanks for the info, it is a 1.8 KR engine. The picture I posted Isn't actually my cars pump, my car is kept in storage 10 miles away and I don't have a picture on my phone, I took it from Google images for Keith's reference. I thought it was the same one but it may not be, I've owned the car for a year and its ran fine up until now so I'm guessing i must have the one in the picture you posted.

As explained earlier the car just died on me, I realised the lift pump wasn't running so I swapped that over but the car still won't start, the pump underneath makes a faint humming noise but I remember it used to be really quite loud - it would make a rattling/whining noise but now it doesn't - just the humming noise. I've also noticed the return pipe to the tank is bone dry - could this be a clue? Also I've noticed when I crank it over for a while the wires which supply the pump underneath get warm, do you think this could indicate that the pump is jammed and trying to draw too much current? I'm thinking I just swap the pump and hope for the best?

You wouldn't know the part number for the pump underneath would you?

Many thanks.

Jamie

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is common for a failed lift pump to eventually damage the main pressure pump so it will need to be changed. Take great care with the assembly and the fuel pipe from the pump as the tank can easily crack (why the one in the picture was being done in 2008 ) and currently they are impossible to get new. The hose from the pump to the accumulator is also impossibly difficult to find new. I need a new tank for a Mk2 I am doing a 2 litre conversion on and I have had to repair a used one that had a broken accumulator mount. The pump (part number 191 906 091 H and £253 from a VW dealer) is easy to get from Bosch agents (part number 0 580 254 033) but the screws will be rotten so order three from a VW dealer before you start, part number N 104 047 01 at 59 p each.

You could do with altering your signature so it does not say 2.0.

jamie1982

That's great, thanks very much for your help, I found the Bosch pump for £148 reduced from £196! So I shall attempt it when it arrives next week.

I didn't realise I had a signature of 2.0, can't find a way to edit it on my phone app but I'll try again another day.

Thanks again

Jamie

jamie1982

Hi again

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the original part numbers for the pipe from the air box to the air intake? I have attached a picture to help - the car runs lumpy and I think it's down to these ill fitting modified hoses etc. I fitted the part onto the top of the airbox so that bit is fine - I just need the rest.

image-2102922684.jpg

Ps. Fuel pump now fitted and running again - thanks for the info crasher.

Thanks in advance.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There were two plus one replacement, 191 919 051 BK (made by SWF) and 191 919 051 AT (made by Pierburg VDO) and both were replaced by 191 919 051 BA, so is yours BK, AT or BA?

BK uses pump 191 919 051 BK with strainer 191 906 092 AD

AT uses pump 357 906 092 C with strainer 357 906 092 C

BA uses pump 191 906 092 G with strainer 191 906 098 G and connection piece 357 919 133

All the pumps were superseded in 1989 by 357 906 092 C and a variety of strainers but typically 357 906 098 although everything is obsolete from VW.

There is a huge choice available aftermarket but as it is easily available, I would buy the Pierburg 7.21088.62.0, if you do a search for that number you will gets lots of choices.

Gabs

Its AT.I need these think. Where i can find it in ebay? And i write the number you told me?

Attachments

• 09060B17-6C9A-4FC0-9204-6EA93132F3A6.jpeg
    09060B17-6C9A-4FC0-9204-6EA93132F3A6.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 1