Need advice for my VW passat headlight situation

emmthp72382

Hello,
I am in need of some advice. I drive a VW passat b7 tdi 2013 1.6L, it has xenon led headlights. At the moment I believe the have water inside as the inside of the headlight fogs up, and I use a hair dryer currently to get rid of the steam inside. I went to a garage and they told me to change the headlight. The main dealer sells the headlight for £750 for one! I cannot pay that much for one headlight during this time. I wanted to ask if I can downgrade to the normal halogen headlights from xenon and if it is possible with my car? They are much cheaper and only £300 for a set.
Any advice is helpful!

Belix

Are both headlights fogging up?
Xenon bulbs require a ballast which regular halogen does not need, so it's a bit of a faf to downgrade. Is it not an option to grab a reaplcement headlight from a scrap yard?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Converting is not a plug and play task and will require recoding the body control module. A little mist inside these headlights is normal and not a problem technically, just cosmetically, VW use this as an example of what they consider acceptable

SteamedupAudiheadlight.jpg

TPI2005601-18.jpg

The next headlight up from yours is £979.34 and the top spec light in a current A8 is £3797.54 which is utterly daft!

Last edited:

emmthp72382

Are both headlights fogging up?
Xenon bulbs require a ballast which regular halogen does not need, so it's a bit of a faf to downgrade. Is it not an option to grab a reaplcement headlight from a scrap yard?
Thank you for your reply. No, it is only the driver's side headlight that keeps fogging up for some reason. I haven't been able to find the right part for my car. Do the part numbers have to match completely - for example i think my current part starts with 3AC and i've been only able to find good second hand parts beginning with 3AB. The lights look exactly the same so does it matter if the numbers do not match? If so, I will be able to replace it without downgrading.

emmthp72382

I am not an expert on cars at all, but is it possible just to change the headlight glass instead of replacing the entire thing?

Belix

I think the ebay seller is saying the mounting points broke off and have been repaired with what looks like plastic welding.

dj_ek

This is for a left-hand drive car. You have failed to introduce yourself or tell us where you're based so we have no idea if that unit is suitable.

Personally I would go for an undamaged unit - if indeed you have a problem (I note that you have failed to answer my question on your duplicate thread you made on the same topic - I'm not even sure if you have an issue or not currently).

emmthp72382

This is for a left-hand drive car. You have failed to introduce yourself or tell us where you're based so we have no idea if that unit is suitable.

Personally I would go for an undamaged unit - if indeed you have a problem (I note that you have failed to answer my question on your duplicate thread you made on the same topic - I'm not even sure if you have an issue or not currently).
Hi,
I'm from England. The part I linked from ebay the seller just told me it is from the EU so will not fit my car. If possible can you direct me to where I may find a good used replacement?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The genuine part was made by Valeo and is part number for a direct replacement is 3AC 941 754 and these cost £714.97 retail inc VAT. Euro Car Parts list the Valeo part aftermarket at £804.99 which is taking the urine. It is Veleo number is 044508, obviously this picture is of the left.

1614094435985.png