Need roofbox for a Touran with that has no rails

aidan corbett

Hi folks,

first time poster. We have a 2016 VW Touran 7-seater (DBA-1TCZD 5DR Auto Petrol) - a Japanese import which we bought used a few months back. Unfortunately the roof has no rails on which to fit roof bars and a roof box. I went to the local VW dealer (in Dublin, Ireland), and they ordered roof bars but it turned out to be the wrong parts (I think they were for a car with rails). When the dealer looks up our car, it gives the wrong info, I think because it's an import. I also tried Halfords. They ordered fitting kit and rails which they thought might work (they said wouldn't be sure till they got them in), but these never arrived due to global supply issues. Have also tried independent shops without much luck. My wife happens to be Japanese and she got on to a VW dealer in Japan but unfortunately it seemed their database over there also gave the wrong results.

In the pic you can see there seem to be some kind of dimples on the underside of the roof, at the doors. I think these are to hold the feet of a set of rails (although I find it hard to imagine how this would be secure to be honest!) When we bought the car, the dealer said these dimples are for taking roof rails and it would be no trouble to get roof rails and a box. Oh well!

We have four young kids so could really use a roof box for buggies and the like especially when we go on a longer trip.

Very grateful for any advice. Will follow up here in any case if we manage to find an answer somewhere.

Thank you
Aidan.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    946.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image (2).png
    image (2).png
    737.7 KB · Views: 2

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I think Thule may offer one but I am no expert on them. The rails vary depending on build date and specification but it should be possible to add them although it is a professional job involving removing the headlining, drilling holes and inserting riveted cap nuts plus a lot of attention to water sealing.

aidan corbett

I think Thule may offer one but I am no expert on them. The rails vary depending on build date and specification but it should be possible to add them although it is a professional job involving removing the headlining, drilling holes and inserting riveted cap nuts plus a lot of attention to water sealing.
Thanks Crasher. That's good to know even if, as you say, it's a lot of work. I'll give Thule a call and post back in case it's helpful for anyone else.

markdis

I would try to contact another dealer probably and check what they say. I always check the dealer's reviews on pissed costumer (here is the example - bigmotoring world) cause you never know who you are dealing with. My wife wanted to have a roofbox for her MIni (the same reason kinda, we have a little daughter and if you put buggy inside, you don't have space for anything else). She contacted a local dealer (the first place she found near our home) and paid a cash advance for the roofbox. I didn't understand why exactly but it wasn't possible to install it so we ended up changing the car . It took us a while to get our money back from the dealer...

aidan corbett

I would try to contact another dealer probably and check what they say. I always check the dealer's reviews on pissed costumer (here is the example - bigmotoring world) cause you never know who you are dealing with. My wife wanted to have a roofbox for her MIni (the same reason kinda, we have a little daughter and if you put buggy inside, you don't have space for anything else). She contacted a local dealer (the first place she found near our home) and paid a cash advance for the roofbox. I didn't understand why exactly but it wasn't possible to install it so we ended up changing the car . It took us a while to get our money back from the dealer...
Thanks markdis. Good point - I will try another dealer. I also just emailed Thule and will share what I hear back. Thanks again.

aidan corbett

Thule said they don't have anything for this car. If I manage to get something fixed up I will post back here but doesn't look great at the moment.