New caddy?

Vwcaddyman

Ok I'm in the market for a new small van, when I say new I'm looking st a couple of years old say 14 onwards.
Having had my caddy for many years I'm reluctant to change it only someone else has made the decision for me!
I've heard that the newer caddy with the 1.6 engines have had injectir problems? Is this also the case for the 2.0 versions?
Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

I am open to other small cabs but have again heard that the 1.6hdi in the Citroen/peugeot are prone to blowing turbos?, the 1.6 in the Vauxhall seem to make terrible noises once started, and the ford is a gas guzzler?

Anyone with any experience of small vans and what to be aware of would be great. :-D

Falwheel

Hello,

New to the forum and I am now considering buying a VW Caddy.

Interested to hear how you got on ?

Have you bought a vehicle and what did you get ?

What recommendations could you give ?

Falwheel

PeterAFox

I can only give you general feedback based on many years of owning different vehicles, but maybe it helps (all just personal experience so probably others may disagree).

Old British models: plus point (+) cheap, great to work on, even minis, negative points (-) some models very prone to rust
French models: + nowadays quite cheap, trendy, - seriously over engineered making maintenance expensive and difficult
Suzuki: + cheap, easy to work on, - some models, especially made in India, made of very soft metal so, for example, wheel bearings go regularly. Nowadays suzukis seem great.
VW: +reliable if maintained reasonably well, great to use/easy to drive, high quality, - expensive, seem to be manufactured for a life cycle of about 200,000km (with new parts/maintenance this problem is avoided), repair shops are pricey.

I'm now on my 5th VW, 2nd caddy - all diesels. The newer model caddy (MKIV) is the best vehicle I've ever had - great to use, great to drive, extremely versatile, seats 2-7 people depending on which seats are taken out, can be used as a camper (without toilet), takes heavy loads, pulls trailers easily, possibility to do all repairs yourself with the right tools and time, cheap to download workshop manuals from erwin, diesel is cheap here (does 6-7ltrs per 100km). Negative points are that it's a diesel (does 6-7ltrs per 100km) so now serious problems in London and some other cities, expensive to buy, tools can be expensive and my son keeps using it, sometimes not big enough (transporter or crafter would be better for us). Now done 364,000 km and running great, but looks quite tatty

One of the biggest factors is what exactly you intend - do you plan to do some/most/all repairs maintenance yourself or use a garage? If you are going to use a work shop and don't want it to forever or many 1000s miles then something like a dacia is much cheaper but uses more fuel (I have no experience of dacias, but I think they have a Renault engine who used to put their engines in at 42° which meant taking the engine out just to change the cylinder head gasket - I can't imagine they still do this).
Every caddy model has weak points, but overall if you need more than a 'car' then a caddy is great and fun. If I don't upgrade to a transporter or crafter then I'll always get a caddy - perhaps a maxi, maybe not diesel though - I think it well worth the expense and despite the fact that VW commits fraud and cheats people on a massive scale (we also have had polos, which I don't think I would buy again because of the behaviour of VW)

Falwheel

PeterAFox,

Thank you, did not expect such a full response.

these are all useful points and will take your comments into consideration before deciding which vehicle to Purchase.

A lot to consider but your insight is really useful.

I am not a mechanic and will rely on a local garage for service/repairs.

Appreciate your time replying to my post

Falwheel

Falwheel

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, what are you driving at the moment?

Hello KeithUK.

Just to let you know that my first post was posted in the Introduction section.

This was my second post.

No need for free fix or trade secrets 👍

I understand your mistrust for new posters and maybe in time we could become forum friends 👨

I currently own a Vauxhall Zafira and am considering buying a Van. Thinking a Volkswagen Caddy or similar.

Take care and keep safe

Falwheel