VinoGolfswap

Hey guys. Just wanted to say a quick hi. Have been a previous owner of a MK3 VW Golf GTi 16v which had a few subtle mods. Currently assisting the girlfriends dad in trying to track down his former MK1 Golf Gti. Registration was B970 EGJ. If anyone recognises this registration pease get in touch.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
A silver Golf cabrio, you didn't see many in silver. It is possibly still out there as it has not been declared scrap but it is SORN'ed and has no MOT so could be locked away somewhere.

VinoGolfswap

Yes I looked on the MOT history at the DVLA and like you say it is SORN so could be locked away but slightly concerned it may have been scrapped. It seems to have had a few rust issues in the past but I am hoping it hasn't fallen victim to the tin worm. Would love to know it's current state.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
We dug an 88 out of a lockup a few years back for a customer, we recommissioned it and had it painted, it looks lovely now. The post 83 cars were much better against rust and I don't recall ever seeing and sill or axle mount perforation on the post 84 cars which had the later floorpan, the biggest issue on those is cracked fuel tanks where fuel pours over the exhaust!

https://flic.kr/p/2krRor5

VinoGolfswap

Well funny you should mention that but the reason he sold it originally was because the cracked and rusted fuel filler panel. Not sure what the condition of the fuel tank was though.

VinoGolfswap

Yes definitely. You will be shocked to learn that at the time he didn't have the finances to get it resolved so swapped the car for a bottle of red wine!!! Yep, you read that right . A BOTTLE OF RED WINE!!!!???o_O