o/s track rod has slight play

diyspanner

2011 TDI (cfwa engine)

Its the tie rod to rack joint rather than the track rod end.

Is it simply a matter of loosening the boot and shim adjusting a nut to remove the slack?

diyspanner

How much play allowable before its an mot failure?

Could you quote the relevant tool please so I know what to look for.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Basically no detectable play on the shaker plate. You need a standard ball joint separator equivalent to VW 3287A

1626878512121.png

and an equivalent to the VAG 1332/6 which is an open ended 32-mm spanner for a torque wrench... or improvise if you understand.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You can download all the information you need for 7 Euro's an hour from erWin If you get yourself ready with a print to pdf program and organise some folders, you can down load the entire genuine VW workshop manual in the hour.

diyspanner

Have looked on the bilsteingroup website and found the track rod. Its looks as though its a knuckle adjustment so presumably there's a lock nut?

full

diyspanner

Thanks Crasher

So clean any oil of the threads, apply thread lock then nip to remove any play and job done?

What grade is the rack oil?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It should be torqued, I can’t remember the spec but that requires a special torque wrench so I made my own version by welding a 1/2” drive socket to a cut down 32mm spanner and back the torque spec off a bit due to the increased lever arm effect.

diyspanner

Just a thought!

Instead of being torqued, perhaps use a spring weight scale to measure the pull needed to move the other side and adjust the loose one to the same pull force? ........ that's how a torque wrench is adjusted afterall!