Oil change - GTD

Mark198912

Is it possible to change the oil filter underneath without changing the oil.

Thinking of changing my air and fuel filter. Along with pumping old oil out and putting oil new in.

But wondered if it would be possible to then get a garage to lift it up to change the oil filter (without excessive oil loss).

Or can oil filter only be changed when drained?

Alternatively I’ll have to buy some ramps.

Many thanks.

SadClouds

I think oil filter soaks up quite a lot of it, so you'll just contaminate new oil with dirty gunk. Personally, I don't like my VW dealer changing oil. As soon as the car warranty expired, I started changing oil myself. I drain the oil and then leave the car overnight for the remaining oil to run down. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but old oil contains corrosive substances that damage your engine, the less of it I have after oil change, the better.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to change the oil filter underneath without changing the oil.

Thinking of changing my air and fuel filter. Along with pumping old oil out and putting oil new in.

Who the hell would change the oil filter without changing the oil. :mad:

My Golf GTD the oil filter is on top under the bonnet 32mm single hex socket as its a plastic cap you don't need to remove it from underneath, unless they have changed the location on the Mk7 Golf GTD.

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0, only what I've added from this thread.

You have made 2 threads with the same question.

dervdave

My Golf GTD the oil filter is on top under the bonnet 32mm single hex socket as its a plastic cap you don't need to remove it from underneath, unless they have changed the location on the Mk7 Golf GTD.

They certainly have, its underneath access only now :(