Oil leak from sump plug and surrounding

MarcBloke

Hi,

I had the oil + filter changed on my 2003 3 cylinder polo about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, after a good 2 hour run on the M4 I noticed a trail of oil as I pulled in to a service station. This was the first time I'd driven the car for a decent length of time since I'd had the oil changed.

I looked under the car and there clearly seems to be oil leaking from the sump. There also seems to be oil nearby but not sure how it would have got there.

After leaving overnight there was a small patch of oil on the ground underneath but not a great deal.

I also checked in the coolant and noticed some 'mustard' - not sure if this is related.

I've attached photos of the above described.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc
IMG_20210405_171256262.jpg
IMG_20210405_171058837.jpg

IMG_20210405_171440910.jpg
IMG_20210405_171115717.jpg

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The oil in the water is nasty, more than likely head gasket. The oil elsewhere is not a lot really but that forward of the front cover could be runoff from changing the filter, it goes everywhere if you don't wrap the area in rags.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is going to cost more than the car is worth to repair it properly in parts alone, it is something we are seeing so often, chap on here yesterday with a 2010 6R, new engine needed, more than the cars worth.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
According to VW the head "must not be reworked" i.e. skimmed as it removes the Hot Isostatic Pressings heat treatment and the gasket will fail again very quickly BUT we do have it done and have not had an issue. You would skim the block deck as the engine has to be out in bits and they cannot be rebuilt once the crank has been taken out. A new VW engine on that is affordable but twice the cars value.

MarcBloke

Supposing I got my local mechanic to replace the gasket - more than likely this would just be replacing the gasket onto a potentially non-flat surface and it could fail again at any time?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is unlikely to last and the chain will probaly get very upset and jump, the manual states "if the distraction [of the head] is greater than 0.05mm, replace cylinder head"

MarcBloke

Thanks for all your responses Crasher - really appreciate your advice.

If the car is going to be scrapped is there any harm in continuing to drive it short distances?

i hate 1.2 awy

More to repair as in replacing the head gasket + re-skimming the block.. or complete engine replacement?
Hi,

I had the oil + filter changed on my 2003 3 cylinder polo about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, after a good 2 hour run on the M4 I noticed a trail of oil as I pulled in to a service station. This was the first time I'd driven the car for a decent length of time since I'd had the oil changed.

I looked under the car and there clearly seems to be oil leaking from the sump. There also seems to be oil nearby but not sure how it would have got there.

After leaving overnight there was a small patch of oil on the ground underneath but not a great deal.

I also checked in the coolant and noticed some 'mustard' - not sure if this is related.

I've attached photos of the above described.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc
View attachment 8278
View attachment 8277

View attachment 8276
View attachment 8275
Possibly they didn't put a new washer on when they changed the oil, although there is oil from above the sump plug so it could be a leak from the gasket above. oil around hole in plastic suggests not enough rag around oil filter when it was removed to catch oil and its dripped down the engine. as for the mayo check inside oil filler cap as well and see what that is like, it would point to a blown head gasket possibly. the system would need presser testing to check for leaks if there are none obvious. Cylinder heads only should be skimmed if they are outside the tolerance as they are surface hardened. As Crasher says the cost of parts and labour make it uneconomical repair unless you really love the car and can do it yourself. As a precaution i would not keep driving it till you resolve the oil leak and the mayo in the water.
If you really want to do it yourself and you have the time and lots of patience https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/threads/1-2-3-cylinder-petrol-rebuild.27012/#post-136766

MarcBloke

There isn't any mayonnaise under the oil filler cap.

Weirdly in my last polo (97' 1.4 8v) I remember finding mayonnaise under the oil filler cap and doing nothing about it and it ended up being fine for the rest of its life.

i hate 1.2 awy

There isn't any mayonnaise under the oil filler cap.

Weirdly in my last polo (97' 1.4 8v) I remember finding mayonnaise under the oil filler cap and doing nothing about it and it ended up being fine for the rest of its life.
Then at the very least keep an eye on oil and water level as mayo is not normal, unless you are a cook