Oil leak

jd2000

Hi guys more help needed found a oil leak above offside front wheel seeping from some kind of union on a black one inch pipe i then noticed power steering resovoir seemed really low can anyone tell me if that is a power steering pipe and what kind of power steering fluid i should use any help greatly appreciated

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have hydraulic power steering you can use automatic transmission fluid (ATF} which it red in colour. I would have thought it was electrical.

jd2000

Thanks Keith filled up resovoir it didnt take much to fill but ive tried raising the car and lowering it using the electric adjustment to see if it was a strut no sensor alerts for anything its pretty weird no noise of power steering pump either.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I checked ElsaWin and it is hydraulic power steering.

2010 3D653A Phaeton 3.0 TDI-CR V6 4M5-Sit R176f, CEXA - 239PS, KUK MJA PMA - 6A 09L Gearbox (all-wheel drive)

There is a dip stick on the reservoir cap for checking the oil level.

Hydraulic fluid - G 004 000 M2 - £11.27 for 1 litre

Bleeding steering system
Check hydraulic fluid level and top up if necessary.
Raise vehicle until front wheels are free.
Lower vehicle.
Start engine and run at idle for about 5 seconds.
Switch off engine now and check fluid level.
Repeat this procedure.
Start engine again and with engine idling only, turn steering wheel from lock to lock three times.
Switch off the engine and check the oil level.
Repeat this procedure twice.

Leave engine off for 2 to 3 minutes to allow air bubbles to escape from the oil.

Lower vehicle to wheels now.
With engine idling, turn steering wheel five times from lock to lock.

The steering system is bled when no more air bubbles rise into expansion tank.

Check hydraulic fluid level and top up if necessary.

Checking steering system for leaks

Note: If hydraulic fluid level in reservoir is low after repairs are completed, steering system must be checked for leaks.

Start engine.
Turn steering from lock to lock and hold briefly.

This develops the maximum possible pressure.

In this position, the following components must be checked for leaks:

Pinion seal on steering box valve housing.
All pipe connections
Steering rack seals
This check can only be carried out when the boots are pushed back.

Open clip on bellows.
Push boot back.
If hydraulic fluid is visible in steering box housing or in boot, steering box must be replaced.

I've also made a fuse & relay layout for this Type Code if your interested. PDF files

jd2000

Thanks Keith had it down to my friend today the pipe I mention is either coming from the steering rack or the union fitting didnt want to try and tighten the union in case I caused damage cant see into the rack end to much other stuff in the way im not that experienced and my friend didnt want to take a chance so looks like a dealer job im not gonna sleep now worrying about the cost thank you so much Keith.