original car radio

roy borthwick

Hi
can someone please point me in the right direction for what radio used to be installed in the 1983 mk2 polo breadvan.
or if you know of one that would be a straight fit, give and take a few leads being renewed.

thank you

Roy

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It would probably had no radio factory fitted, if it did the usual brand was Blaupunkt and if my memory is correct the 87 Polo hatch we bought at 2 years old had a Blaupunkt Bremen (of which there are many generations) and our Golf 1 GTI had a dealer fitted Pioneer radio/cassette and my Beetle has a Blaupunkt of some sort I bought off a customer when upgrading their 86 Jetta which was nearly new, it has been in their ever since (it makes me cringe how I hacked the opening as a 20 year old) but it is a bit cold to go into the garage behind me and see what it is, the car has been sitting in there for 25 years.

roy borthwick

Hi thank you for your reply, there’s not a lot of wiring there, I suspect someone has tried to fit wires to the rear speakers.
Thank you I will be looking now.
Roy

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest I don’t think there was any wiring at all, on my 78 Polo 1 there was absolutely nothing and on Mrs Crashers 84 Polo Coupe again there was nothing and it all had to be added. My 72 Beetle came from the factory as an LS model and so being the “luxury” level had the ultimate hifi system, a Blaupunkt Emden (which I still have) and this had medium wave, long wave and the new futuristic Frequency Modulation, albeit in mono. It had three wires and an aerial cable, two wires for the single speaker in the dash and one for power, it took its earth from the arial where it bit into the paint and caused electrolytic corrosion with the cheap alloy base of the aerial.