Paint is coming off where the boot touches the bumper on closing

Andrew22

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2011 VW Sharan and when the boot closes it rubs against the bumper to the extent that the paint is coming off in large flakes. I have taken the car into a paint shop and they say there is not enough space between the bumper and the boot to repspray it...it will just happen again. I took it to a car repair centre and they said it is a VERY common problem with VWs...the plastic bumper expands and contracts with changes in temperature over time and eventually there is not enough space for the boot to close. They tell me there is nothing they can do...they can't 'lift' the boot by making adjustments at the hinges and they can't lower the bumper.

They suggested I go back to the paint shop and aske them to sand the metal down a little on the boot before respraying. I went back to the paint shop and they say they won't be able to take enough away because the edge of the boot that needs sanding down is curved.

So it seems I am stuck with a rotting boot! The thing is that if this is a common problem there should be a lot about it on the internet but I can't find anything on my searches.

If anyone has experienced a similar issue and knows the best way to solve it please get in touch.

Thank you,

Andrew

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-08 at 10.58.27.jpeg

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is VERY common on the Octavia 1. On mine I made some stainless steel spacers and fitted them below the hinges and lifted the tailgate up, it still hits sometimes, I have tried moving the bumper but no good.