Phaeton Boosting things

VWSam00Cleveland

So I’ve just had a bit of a brain fart spurred on by a simple discussion about turbocharging an engine with the guys I work with.

So..., basic engine control thesis, ECU monitors intake flow and exhaust Lambda sensor to calculate an AFR and engine load value, adjusting the fuelling accordingly taking into account the drivers input and the before mentioned load and AFR calculations.

Say we want to boost this engine

Simply whacking a turbo on and hoping for the best isn’t really going to cut it, the ECU will see a higher intake flow and a lean AFR and throw up a fault because it won’t want to increase the length of the injector pulses (the ECU has set injector pulse time limits)

So if we could fool the MAF output dependant on the boost pressure to make the ECU continue to inject the max fuel like it would normally (the software wouldn’t be hard at all to write) with an external controller like an Arduino board

And

Using a circuit I use to connect to a separate wideband lambda sensor (already built many, tested, working well), Monitor the AFR and as soon as it begins to lean outside of the 14.7 goal -

use an additionally mounted set of injectors to add some additional fuel to the intake air, supplying a richer air fuel mixture along with the additional boosted air volume, creating more power......

The above is a very basic brain dump but I think it’s worth a try 😂😂

Thoughts ?

VWSam00Cleveland

Well that’s a pretty cool box of tricks !

I knew piggy back ECU’s existed but that’s pretty much spot on ay !, didn’t realise one existed already

Hope the R32T works well for you :)