Phaeton electrical problems

Mr steam

After years of trouble free motoring and everything working as it should i leave the car while I'm away for four days and the aux battery dies, no biggy I order and fit the new one and now I'm at a dead end with lots of problems.
The radio works but has no sound, the parking sensors work but again no beeps, clock works but I can't adjust the time, Sat nav not working, half the dash info screens missing and the electric boot has stopped working.
I have looked at previous posts on the boot and tried several of the methods but nothing, I hoping some one knows a really simple fix before I start ripping the car apart as how a dead battery caused all this has me stumped.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Your car spec says 0. Can I suggest that you add your car spec to your signature as it will save users asking every time, if you know the engine code that will also be great? Oh you can't do this of a phone. Adding your car spec

Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
In which order did you disconnect the battery? You do realise that without suitable diagnostic equipment it is virtually impossible to work on this car, don’t you?

Mr steam

Hi

Hi all, another go as I seem to have lost my first into post. After years of being a Jag man when looking for a luxury car a friend and fellow Phaeton owner told me that one would be probably the one of the best cars i would ever own, and he's quite right. It's only the small engine and I did consider the V10 but I'm really quite happy with the small engine performance. My VW knowledge is a little limited but now I'm a member i hope to expand it so I can participate more. Obviously i have a problem which I find i need help with which is now in a thread but basically I parked the car up and 4 days later it's like it's been swapped for a completely different car, from a car that never missed a beat to one with more problems than brexit!

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see you've added you car spec. 2005 Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI which I would say is:

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2004-05/2007, Model: Phaeton, Engine Code: BMK, 165Kw, 224PS, 3.0 Ltr, 6 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) V6

Mr steam

Yes managed to loose my intro post and the vehicle details when I started, still got there in the end. The spec you put up sounds spot on even though I haven't checked the engine code.
Trying to see if anyone other than a main dealer can scan the car as my one only does the very basics.

Mr steam

hi everyone, hope you are all well. i thought i would add a quick update if anyone wishes to comment please, im not having much luck with the problem.

i took the car for some diagnosis that turned out to be non commital and is just a probably, i cant post the log from the scan as the email attachment was corrupt and there was nothing listed after the vehicle type everything else was just not there, told you i wasnt having any luck!

their diagnosis was that its probably the dash circuit board that has died but this is only a 60% chance of being right? the reasoning is as follows: the vehicle was throwing up an entertainment bus error, the nav unit dosent appear to be getting an off signal and is staying live, the possible cause of the flat battery. the amp isnt getting a wake up signal probably because of this bus error which is why there is no sound. the boot command also im told runs through this bus controller on the rear fo the dash circuit board therefore the common denominator is the dash board, plus they tell me that the tourag uses the same dash panel and these are well known for failing?

this is all well and good except a new dash panel fitted and programmed is well over a grand and thats a lot of cash for a 60% chance of being the issue, i can get second hand ones quite cheap but by the time i have one fitted and programmed it could only be then i find out that either the fault is elsewhere or the replacement dash is just as bad as the one already in the car, its the fitting and programming which costs the lions share!

so any one who is well experienced and willing to comment with some guidance i would be very grateful, oh and just to reinforce my run of bad luck, last night a stone flicked up and broke the windscreen so it now needs one of those two! smile and wave, smile and wave...........

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
What format is this log via email text or a picture? Ask the garage to send it again?

VAG-COM\VCDS log files are Ascii text which can be opened with NotePad.

You could take a flash drive to the garage and copy your log file over.

Mr steam

What format is this log via email text or a picture? Ask the garage to send it again?

VAG-COM\VCDS log files are Ascii text which can be opened with NotePad.

You could take a flash drive to the garage and copy your log file over.

it came over as a txt it goes as far as vin, licence plate then nothing, blank, obviously i have asked them to send again and unfortunately they are not that local to me i had to travel to these guys otherwise ive only got a main dealer nearby.

Mr steam

been quiet for a week as been on holiday but finally got my full scan which has an extensive list that im told most of the intermittent logs is down to the battery going flat, but the main bits pinted out to me I have pasted in below,
Address 17: Instruments Labels: 3D0-920-xxx-17.lbl
Part No: 3D0 920 982 A
Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT RB8 0521
Coding: 0007411
Shop #: WSC 00700 210 88106
VCID: 261406ED24F9D7E790D-5160
2 Faults Found:
00477 - Control Module; Display & Input; Comfort CAN; Front (J523) this one appears a lot throughout the log list.
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
014 - Defective

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<>CAN 0101
Coding: 0000006
Shop #: WSC 01065 000 00000
VCID: 70B820B5D6BDC9573A1-5160
2 Faults Found:
00477 - Control Module; Display & Input; Comfort CAN; Front (J523)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
014 - Defective

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 3D0-959-933.lbl
Part No: 3D0 959 933 F
Component: X1 HSG 0102
Coding: 0000040
Shop #: WSC 00700 210 88106
VCID: 3332EFB9E72BB24F073-4B1E
00317 Defective - Rear Lid Control Module (J605)
004 - No Signal/Communication

any pointers to what these might suggest or if there are any other specific areas you need to know the intermittent logs for let me know and i will post.
Thanks

Mr steam

By the time I've paid dealer rates it would probably be cheaper to scrap the car and buy another, from what I'm being told so far it's probably going to be my best option. Dont want to as I love the car but I can really do without the hassle.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Modern car electrical problems can be very difficult to trace, the Phaeton just adds another whole level of complication as it is sophisticated but also a good two generations back. Even tough I say it myself, I have ODIS, VCDS and ELSA plus my best subject is electronics and wiring and still those things push my patience and skills to the limit. The Bentley Continental is very closely related and just as frustrating.