Polo 9N 1.2 oil in the coolant - oil cooler location?

craggles

Hi

for the last 3 years my polo has been getting oil in the coolant ,I have always assumed it is the head gasket ,however a mechanic recently told me it sounds like the oil cooler "easy fix" ,, but I cant find one, the car is a 2002 plate,,not 100% but possibly AZQ engine.

can anyone please confirm if it has a cooler and the location

Thank you

craggles

Hi Crasher, i've been on here since 2009,and knew I would get the correct information .

The header tank gets full of oil,I flush the car through about every 1000 miles,with fresh antifreeze,, and take the header tank off and flush it through with white spirits ,weirdly Its been like this for 3 years ,,it runs fine, no hicups ,passes the MOT every year. So it would sound like the actual head I am guessing,,There is no water in the oil,,just oil in the water

Thank you

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
In most cases, oil will go into the water rather than the other way around due to the oil pressure being much higher than coolant pressure... that does sound like a head gasket and on that engine with chains, valve guides etc, well it would have to be precious to you.

craggles

Thanks for the help again! had the car about 8 years ,has 65k on it, ,first oil change I did on it the chain slipped on start up, cost me £580.,Id guess it would be around that to sort the head out ,car isn't worth it.. have an my dads got an Audi A4 estate 54plate 1.8T S-line which I will grab of him. And scrap the polo.

Glad to see you're still on here ,appreciate the help massively ! P.S signed the petition