polo mk3 1.4 16v AFH engine 1996 oil leaking from egr valve

sismis

hi

today i noticed a oil stain under my car and i find out its coming from the egr valve to be exact from behind of it where a pipe is connected. is this normal?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If you had oil coming out of the EGR valve you would also have huge amounts of smoke billowing from the exhaust. I would think the issue is distributor related.

sismis

i have smoke it neither white neither gray but have some amount of smoke... and it smells on gasoline like its too rich even inside of the car too....

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
What you describe sounds like it is running very rich, then fuel could wash carbon and oil out of the engine and this could leak out of the EGR valve piping. Do you have VCDS and a timing light?

sismis

timing light no vcds got but copy not genuine so i dont use it ... the oil is clean ... cant find workshop manual where the pipe behind the egr leads. First time i see this oil leaking from egr so im out of ideas how and where it comes from

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Because the AFH ignition timing is so difficult to set up, on the odd occasion we do see one (usually fitted in earlier Polo’s) the timing is often wrong and the distribution and its seal (internal and external) were known for leaking. Mrs Crasher bought a brand new 1999 Polo 16v with the AFH and it was leaking by the first service.

sismis

ok today it was goo sunny day so i was working on the polo little and i find that oil leaking was from the oil pressure switch not from the egr but it was leaking over the egr and its looks like it is. second i noticed when i unplug the 4th cyl spark plug lead i got spark from the distributor cap which i think its cracked. Now next thing that confuses me most is i got strong smell of petrol inside and outside like running rich mix even leaves wet stain behind.