UK Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my car almost didn’t start whilst in a queue of traffic. I’d done a 2hr motorway journey, car had then been stood for 3hrs and it was about 10mins into my journey home when it played up - it was in the dark in a queue of traffic so the stop/start was cutting in and out.
Fortunately it did just start but from then on I had a white warning sign on the dash that looks like it’s to do with the automatic cruise control. I also noticed the gear indicator on the dash was wrong - it was telling me to change from 2nd to 4th when I was driving at 60mph in 5th. When I got back home I turned the car off and restarted it and the warning sign is no longer there. I seemed ok this morning as well.
Never had any battery or starting issues before - only occasionally a message saying “parking manoeuvre brake not working” which I read could be due to a weak battery?
I assummed I needed a new battery but whilst sussing it out I realised that a negative jump lead should be connected to a pole next to the battery, not to the battery itself. Now I remember that about a week ago I pulled into a car park and a woman asked me if she could use my car to jump start hers - she already had the bonnet up on her car and the jump leads connected so when I lifted my bonnet she literally connected the leads straight onto my battery within seconds!! I started my car, she started hers and that was it. Now I’m wondering if this has damaged my battery or the electrics in my car. The handbook says connecting the lead to the negative battery terminal can cause “ incorrect condition evaluation of the 12v vehicle battery in the electronics”
Any ideas….????

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
Typically we are seeing failure of the Varta AGM batteries commonly used in VAG vehicles, fail at around 6 years and when the start to go the cars behave very oddly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it’s just the battery then but they aren’t cheap!!! Just got a quote for a Varta battery with a 3yr warranty and it’s nearly £150😬
For a little while I’ve also noticed that the stop/start doesn’t always work - the symbol in the top corner of the dash display shows it with a line struck through it. Could that be because the battery doesn’t have enough charge for it to work??

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
The battery monitor is not allowing the SS to work because the battery is weak. £150 for a Varta AGM sounds way too cheap, I would be expecting £200 ish. If you think that's expensive, don't buy an e-Golf, when they are ten years old and develop a problem, the pack is £20K or if you fancy trying to replace the faulty cell they are £850 each and there are 24 of them...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
My car was getting serviced yesterday at the Skoda dealership where I bought it from so I asked them to check the battery whilst they had the car - they said it all tested fine. The stop/start worked fine yesterday and today too.
I agree that the battery is probably on the way out. My car is going to the VW main dealer next week to have some issues looked at under warranty so I’ll ask them to have a look at the battery too.
£150 for a Varta battery was from an independent motor factors I use so it may be a slightly different version than the one that’s £200. It is a stop/start version though.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Do yourself a favour and for the sake of future owners of your vehicle by disabling the abomination which is start / stop.

·
Administrator
32,475 Posts
There is a forum thing called Nextdoor and on my local group someone asked about having it turned off so I wadded in (in my usual subtle and considered manner) and took more incoming than Kyiv! Was called everything from a Luddiet to a climate criminal!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ah there you are Crashwell, annoying the neighbours now with your outspoken views?
However being right won't cut it with the Turdburgs of this septic world.
You need to get yourself and Lady H an e-bike each and then, like us you will find yourself much more acceptable.

💩

1 - 8 of 8 Posts