Rear Engine mount Problem? Metallic noise

cymru573

Question relating to a 55 reg Golf Plus 1.9 Tdi
Lately Ive had an annoying dashboard noise at idle. If i feather the throttle it goes away
Also when I shift from 1st to 2nd I can hear a brief loud metallic noise just behind the bulkhead area
(Initially I thought of the exhaust or heat shield, but these have both been checked & seem fine)
All rubbers are present & good on the exhaust & all of the star shaped washers are present on the heatshields & they dont rattle when I had a look under the car

Took it to a mechanic mate of mine & he visually checked the engine mounts & using a prybar he said there wasnt any excessive play apparent.
When he grabbed the engine to physically rock it (with me in the drivers seat) it did briefly go away. But theres no excessive rock or movement when I blip the throttle at the biting point

He was thinking it could be the rear lower dogbone mount, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?
Im guessing if it was on the way out could the body of the dogbone make brief contact with the slot in the alloy subframe, causing this metallic noise?

Ive added an image below off google, but from what I recall my dogbone seemed closer to the bottom of the slot through the subframe, hence my question
He told me to drive it around & try & get more symptoms (I will try & record the noise on my phone)
Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-113644_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-113644_Facebook.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
That is a very troublesome part, you can get inserts to bodge it or upper and lower repair kits, they can be evil to press in.

Last edited:

cymru573

Thanks crasher. I've ordered upper & lower bushes for my mechanic to fit in the new year. I've not ordered the dog bone one yet. I'm thinking it's the subframe ones that take the brunt of the movement?
Lately there's more noise in 2nd & 3rd & also when starting from cold

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The front ones don’t go, remember EVERY single bolt removed (and there are I think 15 of 7 different types) MUST be replaced with the correct spec bolt, most can only be bought genuine and are roughly £4 each. If these single use TTY (torque to yield) bolts are reused to their correct Nm+angle specification, they may snap being tightened, if you are lucky... if not they can snap (and will drop out) in use.

cymru573

Just an update:
I've replaced the subframe bushes & the metallic noise on shifting from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd has been cured

What I've noticed is that the annoying dash rattle at idle is slightly worse over the past week. If I just feather the throttle it disappears. The noise appears to eminate from just in front of the drivers side dash area.

With the bonnet open at idle I can't hear it over the engine noise. I've checked the cam belt cover, removed the engine cover. After fiddling I've noticed that if I pull the engine slightly by grabbing the inlet hose by the brake fluid reservoir the noise goes. I got the wife to check as I pushed & pulled & she agreed

I'll check the hose connection into the inlet this weekend, but does this sound like a drivers side engine mount problem? It's just getting annoying at idle

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If the cam belt has been done (as is probable) the bolts for the consul to the block, consul to mount or the mount to the body were probaly not replaced and as they are one time only Torque To Yield, they can "waist" and come loose. This can cause the rear upper bolt boss on the block to shear off (therefore making the block useless), consul to mount bolts to shift which can rip the thread out of the aluminium casting or the inner wing mounting area to fatigue and break away.