Rear tail lights

Jay-1234

Hello!

First post...

I've recently got a R line estate, bit I didn't notice when buying it, that the tail lights are different. I like the look of some that are on others and since the car is second hand, of course I couldn't choose these. Does anyone know what is possible here? Could I get holes of these from a well known auction site and just fit them...?

This is my first VW so I have no idea how this all works and what is and isn't possible. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

I've attached a photo of the ones that I have

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I think there are two or three different light unit designs for the estate as they changed in 2019 and I don't see why they would not work, maybe a tiny bit of coding

Jay-1234

ok thanks. These are the ones that I like. When you say coding, what do you mean? Is there some PC software and connector that i need to buy first?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3382-large.jpg
    IMG_3382-large.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 4

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I think they are the very latest units, they are computer controlled so there MAY be some coding work which would be done with VCDS typically. I personally have not done this conversion.

Belix

The rear lights, in your last post, came only with LED headlights locally. I think they are full LED units.
First thing to check is that the plugs that fit into the light clusters are the same (when I swapped my MK6 golf tail lights to the R style ones, I had to build an adapter to fit between the plugs).
If the they are a straight physical fit, then they may need coding to work correctly, as Crasher said. First off, the position of the lights may have changed, and second, if the current set use normal bulbs, and the replacement LED, the ECU will think the bulks have blown as the current draw is a lot less, and give you a bulb out warning.