Replacement Battery for T3 Transporter

Mmalkie

I have a 1983 (C reg) Transporter T3, 1.9L Petrol & with the camper sat about doing diddly-squat for about the last 18 months, other trips for an MOT. I've had to charge up the battery up twice in the last 6 months, but it's obvious that it's had it.

I appreciate I can get a 'replacement' battery from the local parts shop, but I get the impression that a previous owner has simply gotten a battery that fits into the cubby hole under the drivers seat. I'm therefore hoping that someone can give me a step to a hint about the 'correct battery. Currently fitted is a 'Powerstart' Type P027 12v 60AH - 540 CCA

Any help would be appreciated, as my local parts store has had a tendency to simply give me the cheapest battery that meets the spec, rather than the correctly sized / shaped one for the vehicle!

Jimabob

Hi M, with older vehicles I always try to fit the most powerful battery I can that will fit in the compartment.
I've got a 2.1 engine and managed to fit a 77AH 760CCA Exide premium behind the driver's seat. Is that where your battery is located?

Jimabob

PS, you wouldn't need to go that big. Mine's a syncro and has the 90A alternator so it suits a bigger battery. If I were you I'd still go a bit bigger than 540CCA though.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but it is the largest listed for the vehicle. Over the years I have seen a few oversize batteries short out on the seat base in T3’s.

Mmalkie

Sorry for being so long between replies, it's been a busy few months !

I spoke with a local branch of a nationwide tyre/exhaust/battery replacement chain, looking for advice / a good deal.

After turning up nothing on their computer database (as the van is over 35 years old !), the mechanic then turned to a 'battery catalogue' that they often refer to.

I ended up with a "Platinum Prestige" 100E battery which is 12v / 72Ah (ETN: 572409065650A(EN)).

It has a central lifting handle & locates within the battery cubbyhole, with just enough room to get a finger or two down either side of the battery. It thankfully comes with plastic terminal covers that fit on after the terminals are connected. & at £65, I didn't feel as though I was getting mugged !

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a 2.1 engine and managed to fit a 77AH 760CCA Exide premium behind the driver's seat. Is that where your battery is located?

I fitted the same battery a couple of years ago because I wanted a bigger capacity as 61Ah OEM isn't big enough on my Golf.

EXTW067TE Exide Premium with Carbon Boost EA770 77Ah 760 CCA AE[EN] £71.03 278x190x175 not stop/start

Length 278
Width 175
Height 190

http://www.exidebatteries.com.au/Downloads/Brochure/N2053 Exide Fitment Guide.pdf

https://www.exide.com/eu/sites/default/files/2017-07/Light Vehicle - Battery Solutions_0.pdf