Replacing car battery

SadClouds

Varta warranty is 4 years, but the actual life time should be longer. The original battery lasted 6 years and still works, although voltage drops to around 12.1V after a day of sitting idle, so replacing it as a precaution.

Gazwould

Yeah got a 10 year old AGM like that myself .

20210228_142945.jpg

Yet it's having no problem starting the car
( diesel ) , I'd cry if I had a battery only last 6 years .

Considering the Varta marketing of lasting 3x longer I'm surprised it's not guaranteed for 5 years .

Personally I'm going to buy a Halfords
( Yuasa ) with a 5 year guarantee .

Easy return if an issue .

SadClouds

I have a Blackvue 2-channel dash cam that is wired directly to the fuse box. When ignition is switched off, it still runs and records in parking mode. This is useful when parking in public spaces, etc. The problem is the cut off voltage is around 12.1V in order not to run the battery flat. So with my 6 year old battery, I often find the dash cam powers off soon due to the cut off voltage. As you mentioned, it still starts the car every time, and will probably last for another few years. But I feel like the battery is on its way out, don't fancy getting stranded somewhere far away from home.

Mmalkie

We all need to remember that no matter the age / quality of the battery, that we all own VW's & overall, that they will bleed a battery dry (due to all the onboard electronics & sensors), if the car is left untouched for 2 - 3 weeks !

I never drove my car for x4 weeks during the 1st lockdown in the UK in 2020 & had to 'refresh' charge the battery over 24hrs. Had similar issues with the wife's 2006 Mk5 Golf in mid Feb this year, which unleashed a whole Christmas tree dashboard scenario of fault lights, some of which wouldn't clear on generic OBD scanners (just what we needed at MOT time !)

Gazwould

Throw those dash cam hardwire kits in the bin , last one I had was a 11.6V cut off !!

Have a camera that has selectable shut down times and a G shock wake up from being hardwired .

Screenshot_2018-01-04-18-54-30.png

71n-vCRy8mL._SL1500_.jpg

I left it recording for 3 days solid once as an experiment and it started fine .

SadClouds

We all need to remember that no matter the age / quality of the battery, that we all own VW's & overall, that they will bleed a battery dry (due to all the onboard electronics & sensors), if the car is left untouched for 2 - 3 weeks !

I never experienced that on my car. I had my car sitting on a drive way for a few weeks during lock down and no problems with starting. I guess it also depends on the design and age of the battery. All of them deteriorate with time and number charge/discharge cycles. If you buy a cheap battery then you get what you pay for. This is why I'm replacing my battery now, even though it still works every time. Maybe I've been lucky so far with my car, but I've not had any major electrical issues, just a few spurious errors from sensors logged on random occasions. Once cleared, they never came back again.

SadClouds

Throw those dash cam hardwire kits in the bin , last one I had was a 11.6V cut off !!

Well the cut off voltage is there for a reason, otherwise your dash cam could run the battery flat and you would be stuck waiting for RAC. Not sure what the minimum battery charge should be in order to start 2.0 TDI, but I think at 11.6V your battery is completely discharged. It may still start the car in warm temperatures, etc, but I wouldn't risk it every time I'm away from home.

Gazwould

It's not going to go flat simply permanently hardwired in because it is asleep until it receives a G shock .

Had the camera 3 years and of late hardly used plus I've a second car , it did less than 1500 miles between Mot's .

SadClouds

Not sure what camera you have, but most cameras need to be running even in parking mode. They constantly record and buffer the video into RAM, when motion or collision is detected, the video is then saved to SD card, in such way that it captures a number of seconds before and after the event that triggered it. If your camera were asleep during this time, you would definitely miss the event and it would not be saved to SD card.

Sam&Anne

Ours run continiously when in a public place. If we were to see any obvious damage we would save that footage for transfer to PC from the SD card.
We may have been lucky or perhaps diligent as to where we park but there have been no incidents in over three years to either car.
Each card gives 16 hours recording should we choose,
then overwrites.
Both cameras have been professionally hardwired to my needs of having them either live or off regardless of whether the vehicles are being used or locked up.
When secure at home we usually switch the cameras off.
However mine has been left on accidentally for a few days on several occasions without causing any battery issues.
My battery is original at nearly six years old. It has never failed even through the recent enforced lay off.
I have never used the stop start gimmick.
Annual mileage during 2020 was 878.
Mileage since January 2021 is 103.

Last edited:

SadClouds

Each card gives 16 hours recording should we choose, then overwrites.

Some cameras have a parking mode with motion detection, i.e. they use GPS to indicate if the car is moving or not, and if not moving, go into parking mode after 5 minutes or so. In parking mode they use motion detection, so they record continuously and if you're parked in a quiet place, only save video to SD card when motion is detected. This way they don't fill up your storage with the same motionless view of multi-story car park walls, etc.

Sam&Anne

Having our cameras running continuously would show up any motion of any type should we choose to watch it on a wet Wednesday afternoon.
When away from home they would never be stopped anywhere for more than 16 hours and if indeed we were ever at a hotel again in the next decade we would always check the car for unwanted attention within the 16 hour period and store that card and replace it with one of the spares which I usually have.
I work quite a bit with micro SD and even the best can fail so always carry a few for back up.
"Filling up storage" is therefore not an issue.