Replacing Crafter ECU. What do I need to know?

Spenser Arnold

Hi all, first post, thanks in advance for reading, and any advice you can give. My situation, crafter in limp mode, lots of codes, which all seem to point, according to my garage, a bust ECU. My first question: is buying a used one a dumb move? I read lots of things about them needing to be recoded, immobilisers not working, etc, and so it seems to me that my safest route is a replacement from main dealer? But it’s £1700 with the VAT. The alternative is sending it off for testing, which is about £100, and then I might need a new one. Someone else has offered a second hand one, and says I don’t need to recode, as long as it’s from the same model. In my case this is a 2014 163PS. Is there anyone out there who can steer me please?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I am no Crafter expert but the vehicles below in the VAG range have many variations of ECU and even identical vehicles are matched to the vehicles immobiliser and the unique chip in the key plus individual vehicle coding values. Properly programming in a new ECU requires GEKO security access via ODIS or another diagnostic system with pass through to the VW server in Germany. Matching a used ECU to the vehicles immobiliser can be a trial even with the correct equipment so most people resort to having the ECU modified to remove the immobiliser function. HOWEVER, ECU failure is extremely rare and is often the resort of a mechanic who has run out of ideas/ability.

Spenser Arnold

Thanks Crasher. I suspect the last bit, and will take the vehicle to main dealer next. Cheers, will let you know how Inget on.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I hope your VW Commercial dealer is better than mine, my ODIS dongle was playing up and I had to get our local dealer to program a new dash on a T5, they made a complete mess of the job but luckily when I got back, the new dongle had turned up so I could put it right.