Scirocco EPC issue

megan.sokell

Hi,

I have an 09 2.0 TSi DSG scirocco gt, it’s always driven absolutely fine, then this morning when i turned the car on it had an EPC light and a message on the dash saying “engine malfunction car needs workshop”, i turned the car off, and on again and it did the same again.
A few hours later i tried again and the car wouldn’t start, it was turning over but wouldn’t actually turn on, the EPC light was on and so was the oil light (however i have checked the oil only two weeks ago and it was fine). i then turned the car off, on again and this time it started perfectly fine.
Now a couple hours later again i have just started my car again and it has started perfectly fine, no lights.
Does anyone have any ideas? I don’t want to have to pay for a garage to look at it if it’s a simple issue or something which shouldn’t happen again.
Thanks in advance :)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Firstly it needs a code read, you can't do anything other than that apart from scatter gun throw parts at it which would be daft. The oil warning light is a red herring, with a modern VAG vehicle, if the start cranking is prolonged the dash can't tell the difference between low oil pressure and cranking RPM speed which is also daft as the coding in the software would not be exactly taxing for a programmer.

megan.sokell

I put an OBD reader on it yesterday and it showed nothing other than a code that came up a couple weeks ago saying my cat isn’t working effectively (when i’ve had a decat) so we just wiped the code, but there was no new ones

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The code may not be ODBII so a generic reader will not pick it up, for example the crank G28 speed sensor which is just about the only sensor which will stop the engine and even then does not always come up as a ode so you have to study the measuring block data to view the cranking RPM. Removing mandated emissions equipment is a banned subject on this forum so I would keep quiet about that aspect.