SDI dont wanna start

jameson

Ive found now; not sure how, that if depress the accelerator pedal a bit before cranking, and hold it there while cranking; then it starts up no problem atall, even first thing on a cold morning ! It's been like that now for 3 days and that's without fitting the check valve ! I've no idea what that means mechanically ? Anyone have any ideas ??

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it is the most common cause of poor diesel starting, the speed MUST exceed 280rpm for it to start. A quick and dirty test its to start it with the temp sender disconnected, if it is better, the rpm is likely to be too low. Remember this will store a fault code.

jameson

Yes, it is the most common cause of poor diesel starting, the speed MUST exceed 280rpm for it to start. A quick and dirty test its to start it with the temp sender disconnected, if it is better, the rpm is likely to be too low. Remember this will store a fault code.
Is this the air pressure/temperature sensor located on the air ducting ?

jameson

Well I removed the coolant temp sensor connector plug (pita that is, only need to push with your thumb on the 1 tab thing and it slides out), and low and behold it did start. Not only did it start but it started (although it was a bit grumbly) after it had been sitting for two days/nights, and on the first turn of the key without my foot on the gas pedal ! So I'm pleased about that. So Crasher, you rekon I need to change the starter motor now ?

jameson

Just to update, I fitted a new Lucas starter motor last week and the van has started on the button ever since. Thanks for the info Crasher its solved my problem; great stuff !