Sharan 1.8t or tdi

kaneelschep

Hi all.

Cause of coming family expansion Im gonna need a bigger car.
A sharan,alham,gala seems to be the choice. Transporter is just too big, expensive and crude.
We now drive an audi a4 with ajm tdi. Already had to change headgasket on that. Did 100k km in it. Its now on 450000. And a passat 4motion with asz. 20k km in that. Now at 270k. All in the last 3 year. So i know the tdi very well.
But i am just a bit bored with the whole dieseling.. :p
We drove a volvo 850 t5 with 211hp on lpg before this all. It was huge, cheap and fast. Did 100k km without issues.
Till it ate a valve halfway germany.

So i thought maybe lpg could be the way to go again?
Maybe the 1.8t? Maybe chipped to 180 190?
I read some german forum where they love this enginecon lpg in the sharan.

Also been looking in to the v6 204hp. I really like the idea. Especially on lpg. It seems quite bullitproof.
But the whole chain story put me off.
Cause with our mileage, we are sure to be having to change it.

We do have a 2ton trailer. And plans to drive with a caravan.

So can someone tell me what is wisdom.
Get the 85 or 96kw tdi?
Or go the lpg route with 1.8t. Or with v6?

Thanks a lot!

kaneelschep

Yeah, It is isnt it.. :) i sort of figured that would be the first answer.
Feels like it makes no sense to get a 1.8t benzine to haul a caravan.
The v6 would have been good at it though. If it just wouldnt eat its chain every 100k..

Too bad the diesels in germany and austria are poorly equiped compared to benzine ones. Also twice the mileage for same price.
And forget about hungary, where i live. Noone services a car here. Just junk for sale.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The V6 was wonderful but most were auto and the Aisin Warner gearbox saw most of them scrapped. Anything Diesel is not sensible putting money into as it will fall victim to the Toxicity zones coming in all over the UK in the next year or two. A 1.8T will be Euro 4 petrol compliant so ULEZ clear, except in Birmingham where they have really lost the plot. The 1.8T in the Sharan is quite different to the other transverse versions all sorts of things are the other way around but it still suffers from the engine killing blocked oil pump pickup problem caused by the ally sump so it is a very good idea to have it removed and cleaned.

kaneelschep

Good thing i have never even been in the uk ;) Even though i am Dutch.
And we dont have that problem here in Hungary where i live.

So i am back to looking at diesels.
What is the difference between the auy and the bvk? Did it stop eating headgaskets? :)

kaneelschep

All i can find about it is that there are zones where noone can drive and zones where no heavy transport is allowed. Nothing about zones without diesel cars.

Anyway.
Euro plan is to ban all sale of diesel and benzine cars from 2030 or 2035.

But for now i cant afford an electric car. So i need a diesel or a benzine/lpg car :)

Too bad, in their ultimate wisdom. Vw made the sharan 4motion only with the 85kw engine. And not the 96kw.
Thats quite a big bummer.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t WANT an electric car, they should let the product speak for itself and the market decide but it is typical undemocratic EU behaviour which our so called independent and “free” country is rubber stamping.

kaneelschep

Oh i do! Just can afford it yet.
Or I would get an electric sharan tomorrow.

Of course these things have to be pushed by government some day. It should have happened years ago.
We cant keep living in the past cause its convenient. That way nothing would ever evolve.
Look at america. They keep grabbing hold on to the whole we should decide for ourselves and be free bs. And they have become last at everything.. Free to die without insurance, pension, 3 jobs, massive loans, holes in every road and the worst education system on the planet.
But they get to decide that for themselves! Yeeha.

If not for elon musk just suddenly producing and selling ev cars, all other car brands would still be sitting on their asses. Getting rich on old rerun poluting technology that hasnt really changed much in decades.
And suddenly all brands are joining, as if it was possible for years.

In norway more than half of the new bought cars were ev's! In Holland 15 procent.
You get a 4kw solar panel array and charging is free for the next 2 decades.
Cause of pushed battery evolution, in 10 years we all have a battery pack at home to lower the amount of coal centrals.
For now, In Hungary, the power you dont consume from your solar panels goes back to the net. But you can use it anytime you want. The net becomes the battery.

The electric car has torque coming out of your ears. Less wearing parts. More than 300 km range. Half an hour fast charge. What is there not to like?

But thats just my thoughts ;)

The topic was about diesel sharan or 1.8t sharan. ;)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Norway has a LOT of hydro electric power, a small population (5.4 million against the UK’s 67 million) and an infrastructure already in place for plugging in internal combustion engined cars in at home, work and when shopping to keep them from freezing solid; moving that to a full EV network is easy but with the battery technology we have now, there are going to be big bills, deaths and stranded motorists in the future, there will be a huge backlash. EV’s produce no less CO2 than an equivalent ICE vehicle until they have done 50000 miles and the ICE vehicle has done 0, yes Zero and are not ahead until having converted 75k miles, these are Geelys (Polestar/Volvo) own figures against their own like for like electric and ICE models. The entire planet has a fully developed mature and safe (well in most countries where they don’t make holes in petrol pipes) liquid fuel production, distribution and crucially USE network and this so called “renewable” electricity could be used to REMOVE CO2 from the atmosphere and convert it into whichever type of synthetic fuel you require and this could then be distributed and used by the infacstructre we have. I think the reason most people who want an electric car like the idea is that they think they will spend less on fuel and that’s not going to happen, the government will always get its tax one way or another.