Stop start

Gazwould

Battery , starter motor , alternator , engine and transmission mounts , timing chain and tensioner if fitted , engine bearings , all will suffer a shorter life with this so called Eco abomination device.

If you are lucky enough to experience a real fuel saving can be short lived and will be offset with the higher maintenance costs .

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I have a new reason to hate it although I may have mentioned it before. We have a Caddy in from another garage who was foxed by its bizarre behaviour and it is a working construction site vehicle so down time is dead money. For around three months now we have been waiting for a battery earth lead, yes just the earth lead. Why is this a problem? Well built into the lead is a tiny microprocessor which digitally controls the alternator on what is called a LIN BUS and communicates with the body control module to initiate the stop/start; when the monitor packs up the battery won't charge and taken out of circuit everything goes haywire. Due to the microprocessor being at least a decade old design it has fallen foul of the "chip crisis" as the chip manufactures are not interested in making legacy products for car manufactures when gadget manufactures are pumping out phones etc using the latest chips; car spare parts come right down the list of priorities, probaly the bottom so the car is stuffed!

Sam&Anne

And yet another addition to the ever expanding list of "reasons to be wary of this abortion".
Due to forum regulations that particular post has had to be split into segments but I will manage.
If I can help somebody then my work is done. 🤨