T5 Help desperately needed

9thaspect

Hi

I have a 2005 T5 2.5 TDI PD engine, i have rebuilt the engine but i am having a problem with starting when warm and sometimes when cold. I have changed the camshaft sensor, I have the crankshaft sensor but havent fitted it yet. I get an error message saying can sensor intermittent fault on the scanner, I have changed the injector wiring harness as well.

When i did a live data check the injector (which have all been fully reconditioned by a good company and tested afterwards before fitting) on number one cylinder isnt giving a reading out, its just a static number which i have been told is the ECU taking over. I am assuming the injector isnt faulty as i said they have all been reconditioned and checked by PF Jones in Manchester.

The engine in the winter was hard to start, long cranking time. If i turned the ignition on 8 times as someone suggested it normally started, runs perfect but sometimes when i stop it struggles to start straight away, others it doesnt, it sounds a bit like the timing is out but i have been told it isnt. In the summer it starts easier but still struggles when warm, intermitently, until it fires up it doesnt to me sound quite right. I have changed the glow plug relay and all the glow plugs are ok. It isnt a fuel pressure problem as i first thought as it starts fine in the summer mostly.

As anyone any ideas, this is driving me insane, i am wondering if its a wire somewhere shorting out?

Thanks in advance for any advice, i am now desperate with this as i have run out of ideas, I will fix it eventually but its become war now ;-)

Error code 16725

104343610_587517158567281_4223308297075855149_n.jpg

Last edited:

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you post error codes you post them from the VAG-COM\VCDS log file not pictures from Solus Pro as you can't make out what they say.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

9thaspect

Hi

It says sensor ERROR CODE: G40 not a plausable signal. P0341 Intermittent. Changed cam sensor, no change at all, i am thinking wiring loom maybe (dodgy wire somewhere)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
No the code is telling you the sensor is working but the signal it is seeing is out of sync with the G28 crank speed sensor, it is most likely that the valve timing is wrong.

9thaspect

No the code is telling you the sensor is working but the signal it is seeing is out of sync with the G28 crank speed sensor, it is most likely that the valve timing is wrong.
Could it be the crankshaft sensor that's playing up, the guy who did the motor does engine rebuilds all day, everyday and is highly respected, I would be surprised if he's done the timing wrong, but its possible?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If the G28 goes faulty, the engine will not start. I know what it is as I have done it myself, if the setting is even a fraction out you will get the incorrect correlation error. As him which tool numbers he used.

9thaspect

OK thanks for the reply I will ask him, its over a year ago now so he probably wont remember, if it was timing surely the error wouldnt be intermittent?
VW told me its often a break in the wiring loom somewhere that can cause it as well, apparently its a common fault? Also the injector wiring loom sometimes breaks down and causes this, but i changed that. When you put the VAG software on it and watch the injectors in live mode all the readings change for all the injectors except the injector on cylynder 1, that stays at one number but they have all been reconditioned and tested. Its as though the signal to number 1 injector is intermitent so theECU seems to be taking over and running it instead of using the sensors reading.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Ignore the intermittent part, I see that for fault codes that come straight back as soon as you clear them. Those injectors cannot be correctly reconditioned outside the Bosch factory. When the engine has been running for a long time, release the fuel filler cap and see what happens.

9thaspect

ok will do, they were done at PF Jones in Manchester and fully bench tested afterwards, i have the certs for them. When started it runs perfect.

9thaspect

Ignore the intermittent part, I see that for fault codes that come straight back as soon as you clear them. Those injectors cannot be correctly reconditioned outside the Bosch factory. When the engine has been running for a long time, release the fuel filler cap and see what happens.
Do you mean with the VAG on it? Its not my software will have to get a friend on it.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
VAG means Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft (corporation) and the software VCDS used to be called VAG-COM but Volkswagen of America had a bee in its bonnet a few years ago about misuse of their intellectual property so Ross Tech changed the name to VCDS which means Vag Com Diagnostic system which shut the US lawyers up and life carried on.

When you see intermittent in a fault code treat it with caution. What you should do now is have the engines valve timing checked as it can go out of spec due to gear drive wear and this would be likely if this code is recent being as the engine was built a few years ago.

9thaspect

OK quick update, released the fuel filler cap nothing happened. But when fitting my leisure battery under the drivers seat, I noticed a black box with connectors and when i removed the connectors they were full of green gunk, anyway cleaned them all up and van now starts and seems to run fine, havent checked it with software as my mate hasnt had time yet. The box has wiring for central locking, but also is part of the imoboliser wiring, i think it was causing a problem with this. I am getting 37 to the gallon (worked out properly) on a motorway run so the timing has got to be good surely. Anyways will let you know if I have any future developments.

Cheers :)