T5 Top Mount open to engine.

frederlisk

Hi, newbie here. Sitting in the van (a 2005 1.9) we've noticed that the incoming air smells like its coming straight from the engine. I've had the engine checked over and no problems. When you shine a light from the back of the engine, the light can be seen coming through the top mount in the plenum chamber when the rubber caps are off. Both top mount caps are present, but do not seem to provide a great fit. My best guess is the engine air is getting in though here.

To my non mechanic eyes, it seems the top mount rubber should seal the engine from the plenum chamber. Or is the only gas seal from the engine to the plenum chamber the top mount rubber caps?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Engine bay air should not get into that area which is known as the plenum chamber. All engines smell a little but you may have an exhaust leak which will make things worse.

frederlisk

Thanks for the reply crasher. To simplify my badly written question. Is the rubber cap in the plenum chamber the only seal against engine bay air from the top mount area?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There is a seal strip along the top of the plenum chamber that seals against the bonnet, part number 7H0 823 737 D and 10.37+VAT from a VW Commercial dealer, we have one in we have just painted and I would take a picture but I am at home doing a 72 hour pre hernia opp self isolation.