That P0407 Fault code, Help Please!

silverspread

Hi All, I have a 2013 Touran 1.6 TDI (bought from new) which is presently showing the fault code P0407 identified as EGR sensor 'B' circuit low, I have looked at a number of posts on this forum, and just trying to identify the fault working from least expensive upwards.

I have checked the fuse and most of the conectors and wiring on the top of the engine but hope to check the same on the EGR valve itself today.

Can anyone tell me what the 'B' sensor actually is?

looking on one of the posts I came across Read Measuring Blocks on VCDS especially the 070 to 079 groups and wonder if anyone could give me any indication of the values to expect relative to this particular fault code that might further identify the culprit?

The emissions modifications have not been carried out on the car and the main VW dealer has therefore indicated that there would be no reductions for works on the EGR valve system.

Has anyone used either a solvent or water based carbon cleaning product or firm to remove potential carbon build-up as a fix for this or similar fault codes?
The engines I am used to working on didn't have all the sensors on and therefore as you can see from the questions above l need a little more info than most.

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
166ljeo.jpg

They can call sensor A or B but there are codes that are more specific.

VAG Error Code: 16791/7343/001031
EOBD II Error Code: P0407

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) - Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine hesitation.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212).

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There is no point ignoring the fact that you need a new EGR cooler unit, it is an undeniable and unavoidable fact of life that these units are utter *****, they were bad BEFORE the emissions recall but after having the software update it tips an already sensitive unit over the edge into failure. DON'T be tempted to try second hand, reconditioned or aftermarket, I have tried all of these and all have kicked me in the ***. It is not so bad when the EGR unit is at the front of the engine and easy to change but it is an evil job to do being mounted on the back of the block under the turbo and covered by the catalyst /DPF which has to be disconnected to get the unit out, it has to be done in the air and takes an experienced pro a good five hours. The VW part number is 03L 131 512 DQ and they retail at £335.83 inc VAT but you will need some gasket to go with it AND if no heat shield (03L 131 531 A @ £15.90) is fitted to the one on the car, this MUST be retro fitted as if the new unit fails within the 2 year warranty period the warranty will be invalidated. At the moment, stocks of the cooler unit are good, in the past they have been in very short supply.

skoda man

Hi All, I have a 2013 Touran 1.6 TDI (bought from new) which is presently showing the fault code P0407 identified as EGR sensor 'B' circuit low, I have looked at a number of posts on this forum, and just trying to identify the fault working from least expensive upwards.

I have checked the fuse and most of the conectors and wiring on the top of the engine but hope to check the same on the EGR valve itself today.

Can anyone tell me what the 'B' sensor actually is?

looking on one of the posts I came across Read Measuring Blocks on VCDS especially the 070 to 079 groups and wonder if anyone could give me any indication of the values to expect relative to this particular fault code that might further identify the culprit?

The emissions modifications have not been carried out on the car and the main VW dealer has therefore indicated that there would be no reductions for works on the EGR valve system.

Has anyone used either a solvent or water based carbon cleaning product or firm to remove potential carbon build-up as a fix for this or similar fault codes?
The engines I am used to working on didn't have all the sensors on and therefore as you can see from the questions above l need a little more info than most.

skoda man

hi guys ,my dad has a skoda rapid 1.6 tdi 2013 car and the PO4O7 CODE has came up and i find the parts to replace on line for under £175
or if u no how take the egr off and clean it , it the 25/11/2021 and my dad book it in with the local skoda dealer so i give an up date later

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member

16791 (P0407) - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low​

Note that it is P0407, not PO4O7. This unit is a very common failure on the CAYC engine and cleaning them is rarely successful, I strongly recommend that only a genuine VAG unit 03L 131 512 DP is fitted, these retail at £381.70. I have fitted a couple of aftermarket versions and they all failed, one before we could even get the car off the lift! As they are so difficult and time consuming to change, finding out the new unit is faulty can be upsetting. They are on the back of the engine so the DPF has to come off and away to the side and doing this on your back would be an appalling job. A genuine part has a two year parts and labour warranty and I have known even genuine ones to fail after 3 years.

https://flic.kr/p/24G64BU
https://flic.kr/p/23oLTHz