UK Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, it's a 1.9l TDi from about a 2001 Golf sitting in a 1991 Westy T3. My mechanic didn't know the specifics of the engine, just that in 2011 when he installed it it came from a 'ten year-old' Golf.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My mechanic here in Prague said the interval is 80,000km, age doesn't really matter.

Can anyone else confirm this?
I think your mechanic is wrong. It seems there is no consensus on when to change the timing belt, everyone has their own idea and everything they tell you is a very rough estimate at best. The interval based on distance covered makes little sense to me, as timing belt wear depends not so much on the distance, but on the number of turns the crankshaft makes. Somebody driving around a city 10K and sitting with engine running at traffic lights most of the time could potentially have the same wear as somebody driving 80K on a motorway. Also components deteriorate with time even if they are not used, i.e. rubber breaks down, which is why you should replace your tyres if they are very old, regardless of the tread wear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not sure how this is calculated, but I guess there is a safety margin built into that recommendation, i.e. take lowest speed around a city (say 30 mph) then correlate it with the engine RPM and work out total distance after which timing belt may need replacing. The point is, somebody constantly driving at 60 mph on a motorway for the same length of time, would cover twice the distance, but the timing belt wear would be comparable to someone driving around a city for half that distance, since the difference in engine RPM when averaged, is probably not that big between the two cases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think your mechanic is wrong. It seems there is no consensus on when to change the timing belt, everyone has their own idea and everything they tell you is a very rough estimate at best. The interval based on distance covered makes little sense to me, as timing belt wear depends not so much on the distance, but on the number of turns the crankshaft makes. Somebody driving around a city 10K and sitting with engine running at traffic lights most of the time could potentially have the same wear as somebody driving 80K on a motorway. Also components deteriorate with time even if they are not used, i.e. rubber breaks down, which is why you should replace your tyres if they are very old, regardless of the tread wear.
Your idea of basing it on turns sounds good, but it's probably just easier for VW to say 'change it after N kilometers' and build them so they should last for that plus a healthy buffer. I also asked him specifically about time, and he said that's not a concern. At the moment all this is now an exercise in curiosity, he has the car and is changing my belt this week.

In any case it took me 10 years to get close (79,300km) to that 80,000km limit my mechanic goes by. Would have been sooner but I didn't take too many trips between April 2020 and April 2021...

·
Registered
3 Posts
have a t5 2006 done 10400k nearly all highway at 100kph. regulary serviced by vw dealer still original timing belt.based on this do i need to change the belt or get it inspected for condition until 160000??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I booked the car for £450 timing belt + water pump change, but would like to find out why there is such a big price difference between two official VW dealers. Parts and labour should be similar, would be useful if somebody on this forum could elaborate on what type of water pump is fitted to my car. Apparently the reason for such high cost is because of the "special" electronic water pump, so they would have to drain the system, fit water pump, pressurise it and run diagnostics, etc. But I don't understand why the other VW dealer are not making such a big deal out of it and charging me £300 less. I suspect all VW Golf Mk7 are fitted with electronic water pumps, this is probably the norm these days and there is nothing special about it. Some garages tell their customers all sorts of tall tales in order to hike up their prices.
Yeah just purchased a 2nd hand 2014 golf sv gt CRLB 2.0 tdi. 37000+ miles upon purchase last aug. Got it a good price, basic service done. Looked further on records no history of belt being replaced. Im a little mechanically enclined hence will be able to do thecam belt replacement. Had the same issue with the water pump from vw parts counter. They dont recommend replacing it until something goes wrong the gentleman said. Just wondered why, as you have the thing apart and easy to access.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I have bought 2018 VW Passat B8 (140kW 4motion DSG). One of local dealers said the main belt should be replaced at 210 000km. Is it normal? It really confused me..

·
Administrator
32,499 Posts
They are telling the truth for once, they often lie and say four years or the new VAG UK interval of 5 years but VAG Germany don't state a time interval, only 210000Km ALTHOUGH I don't think my balls are big enough to go that far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car is a vw bora 2001 make 1600 cc 4 cylinder. I went to an official service and insists on having my timing belt changed although i am currently doing the 45 thousand kms service and my car manual says it should be replaced at 60 k kms and no time limit specified. Should i or should i not change it?
Does anyone know if my engine is interference or non interference engine?

·
Administrator
32,499 Posts
A difficult subject, VAG UK say every five years and varying mileages depending on the engine but VAG Germany don’t list a time span, just distance. I do mine every six years as I do very low mileages but we have to stick to what VAG UK say on customers cars as if we differ and one failed, we would look negligent.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
After much deliberation and discussion with VW service I was told that no need to change at such low mileage. He knows me well enough to know that I can be "difficult" over the many years we worked together so he has agreed to do the change at the end of this month.
This is a massive family dealership and he has given the same advice to many customers and quite a few have taken it and are still running. However as he says they take the risk of on P/X that they would be obliged to change the belt before resale lest a new buyer would ask if the job had been done.
It is Catch 22 as he should be recommending a change when the existing customer would be footing the bill rather than them when P/X comes.
In my case at seven years old I felt that for peace of mind I would go ahead and will be given the old belt.
As the Boss says VW UK insist on five years but here we suspect that is "workshop filling" as Germany are happy at a specified mileage.
However with my "luck" mine would be the one to bite me if I smugly ignore the option to change which will be a fraction of the cost of a toasted motor.

On a separate "rubber" issue Anne's little UP passed MOT on Friday after having rear tyres changed due to wall deterioration and the tread good for another 10k easily. :unsure:
Never had that problem / worry during my time in the game. Never would have sent a customer out with obvious sidewall cracking, because it never happened.

·
Administrator
32,499 Posts
To "save the planet" EU law dictated a massive reduction of Carbon Black used in tyre compound manufacturing so the UV resistance of modern tyres is significantly reduced to the point we see four year old tyres cracking heavily where the car has been left in the sun and consequently tyres with miles left in them go in the scrap, that's environmentally sound apparently.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Well we are off on our environmentally friendly e-bikes for a 40 mile round trip to watch any cruise liners docking and plugging in to recharge their power source.
Overnight charge should do it for them.
Sorted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well not impressed by VW. Had VW Tiguan 4 years now and 39k miles and booked in for a pre paid warranty service contract and the day before it is going in for the service I get a phone call telling me I need a brake fluid change not covered in VW service contract and an OIL/filter change not covered in the service contract and now they called again to say I also need a cam belt and water pump change at another £680 !!!!
They tell me although in 4 years I've only done an average of less than 10,000 miles per year that the cam belt now needs changing. £680 is a lot of money and I'm wondering if the warranty is worth the effort now as VW have always been problematic when servicing comes along and the warranty is now totally dependent on having the work they now recommend and a huge additional expense.
Since the first few months of ownership, the rear brake discs became very badly corroded on the outer 2 inches of the disc where the rear pads don't sweep it. VW say they need to be replaced at a cost of £700 !!!!!!!! but the car is still in warranty and covered by a service contract !!! I'm utterly PI$$ed off by all these extra things when they won't do the basics. Either it's a VW brake design fault or the wrong size pads are fitted or fitted incorrectly. This cambelt forced charge is worse..£680 !!!! local garage that service my other cars will use VW parts for £508 ! but will VW honor the warrantee???. Buyer beware.
I have two ford focus MK1's one has 396,055miles (2Ltr Manual 4 door) on and is in daily use and the other 138,000 (St170 3 door), Ford Transit Mk6 163,000miles and none has had ANY issues and all three cost £160 for a full service and last Focus cambelt and water pump was £65 !!! Wifes Volvo XC60 is fast smooth comfy and Volvo cover everything, not that anything has ever gone wrong on it... I've had 2 Golfs, GTD, GTi and the Tiguan and all have been marred by the dealership issues at "Marshals" When a VW costs more than a luxury Volvo and has poor service then there is a serious issue with VW. WHAT is the point of the comprehensive VW warranty and service contract when you then get HUGE extras they only tell you about the day before the service is due!!!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts