UK Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well we are off on our environmentally friendly e-bikes for a 40 mile round trip to watch any cruise liners docking and plugging in to recharge their power source.
An overnight charge should do it for them.
Sorted.
Just seen the light, ALSO and got a nice electric mountain bike.. so far done two local loops along the coast and hills, recorded 26 and 31 miles and battery still showing 2 bars out of 5..mind you the wear and tear on MTB's is higher on tires that are now getting pricy and wear out brake pads but are cheaper than ice cream.. soon to swap out the chain and gears for an internal Rohloff hub or the new Shimano 14 speed at 1/3 the price, and belt drive..quiet and LONG life.. run flat solid inner tube and extra comfy saddle. Pleasantly surprised BUT gonna cost me loads if I have to swap the Transit for a VW Combie to "fit in.." hahaaahhaaa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah just purchased a 2nd hand 2014 golf sv gt CRLB 2.0 tdi. 37000+ miles upon purchase last aug. Got it a good price, basic service done. Looked further on records no history of belt being replaced. Im a little mechanically enclined hence will be able to do thecam belt replacement. Had the same issue with the water pump from vw parts counter. They dont recommend replacing it until something goes wrong the gentleman said. Just wondered why, as you have the thing apart and easy to access.
VW parts are very expensive..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well not impressed by VW. Had VW Tiguan 4 years now and 39k miles and booked in for a pre paid warranty service contract and the day before it is going in for the service I get a phone call telling me I need a brake fluid change not covered in VW service contract and an OIL/filter change not covered in the service contract and now they called again to say I also need a cam belt and water pump change at another £680 !!!!
They tell me although in 4 years I've only done an average of less than 10,000 miles per year that the cam belt now needs changing. £680 is a lot of money and I'm wondering if the warranty is worth the effort now as VW have always been problematic when servicing comes along and the warranty is now totally dependent on having the work they now recommend and a huge additional expense.
Since the first few months of ownership, the rear brake discs became very badly corroded on the outer 2 inches of the disc where the rear pads don't sweep it. VW say they need to be replaced at a cost of £700 !!!!!!!! but the car is still in warranty and covered by a service contract !!! I'm utterly PI$$ed off by all these extra things when they won't do the basics. Either it's a VW brake design fault or the wrong size pads are fitted or fitted incorrectly. This cambelt forced charge is worse..£680 !!!! local garage that service my other cars will use VW parts for £508 ! but will VW honor the warrantee???. Buyer beware.
I have two ford focus MK1's one has 396,055miles (2Ltr Manual 4 door) on and is in daily use and the other 138,000 (St170 3 door), Ford Transit Mk6 163,000miles and none has had ANY issues and all three cost £160 for a full service and last Focus cambelt and water pump was £65 !!! Wifes Volvo XC60 is fast smooth comfy and Volvo cover everything, not that anything has ever gone wrong on it... I've had 2 Golfs, GTD, GTi and the Tiguan and all have been marred by the dealership issues at "Marshals" When a VW costs more than a luxury Volvo and has poor service then there is a serious issue with VW. WHAT is the point of the comprehensive VW warranty and service contract when you then get HUGE extras they only tell you about the day before the service is due!!!!
So update of the now apparently on going saga. We had booked the car in, given all the info to the VW Dealer we use and we told the service Dept fellow the car was covered with a VW Marshalls service plan and the car had an extended VW Warrantee. Sales Dept at the dealership had arranged for us to have a T-Roc as the courtesy car as we are looking to PX the Tiguan for a 4x4 T-Roc later in the year. The service advisor looked worried when he came over. He explained that the car WAS booked in for a service but we would need to pay first ! I said WHAT! ..it turns out that although we had paid for the service plan AND another year on the VW Warrantee they could not find either of them on the system. We pay monthly for both and I know the payments are coming out of our account.. with all the hassle we have had before I expressed my concern LOUDLY that maybe VW/Marshalls didn't know their arse from their elbow. He said their was nothing he could do and we would need to pay the full price of the service and the cam belt/water pump replacement. I went to the car and got my copy of the paperwork to confirm but he again said there is nothing he could do and we would have to pay. I told him to go back on the system and look up the registration plate as the car, since the last service had a personalised plate put on and reg changed with VW on both warrantee and service paperwork and as the dealership had already done a service AND a warrantee claim on the car with the new reg plates he should be able to find it at the dealership records and in any event the chassis numbers were on the paperwork. To cut it short Sales had forgotten to leave the keys for the T-Roc demo as they promised and they could not find the car anyway so it appears one of the Sales dept had it for the week end.. Then the sales didn't have access to the system that allowed them to get the history from the chassis number..so we had no courtesy car that were were told would be available and VW had failed to register the new Reg Plate to the chassis number AND the VW Dept dealing with the warrantee and pre paid servicing weren't available to confirm the reg swap..although it's been in for two services since the reg swap!!!!!!!

All in all a total and on going cock up fest.. All I can say is dealing with Volvo with our XC60 is a dream... never an issue, always ultra professional and genuinely happy to see customers.. So plan now, is get the service done and then PX it in for a new XC40 re charge or an even better deal on a Kia/Hyundai 4x4 plug in.. I've had enough of VW dealers/Service dept now

41 - 45 of 45 Posts