to chip or not to chip

sherwoac

I had a 2014 2L Caddy Life that I had to sell due to London ULEZ expansion - see my other post. The V5 for that vehicle was marked max net power 103kW.

I just bought an ULEZ friendly 2019 2L Caddy Life and it is marked 75kW on the V5, the power difference is definitely noticeable. Scary for overtaking and no appreciable difference (from the 2014 Caddy) in fuel consumption.

I can see lots of reports saying that remapping will increase the power without harming the consumption significantly.

Questions:
  • why does VW do this? Is it for emissions over their whole range of vehicles? Reliability?
  • does remapping void the warranty? Looks like before 3 years this is a big deal, but afterwards there is no warranty as such
  • are their any credible reports of remapping affecting reliability?

Thanks!

dewillia

All car manufacturers set their engines up to allow for poor quality fuel, in the UK our fuel is very good and hence why tuning is so popular. Yes it will void the warranty if VW find its been

SadClouds

"... do you suppose the guy selling you some aftermarket chip over the counter in industrial unit in... has a test track and a couple of engine dynos... doing extreme accelerated life component testing... does he appear to have a budget to compensate you for catastrophic engine failure."