Turbo gone after 6k miles/18 months. Anyone else???

Old codger

:eek:
2018 Polo 1.0 TSI auto.

Amber engine warning light + EPC on. Handbook said take to dealer. 3 weeks later, dealers open, looked at today:p
Told turbo has gone needs replacement!!!!
Said they had several over the last few weeks and believe it is through lack/low use!
In 50 years of modifying high performance cars, I've never come across this.
Surely a design fault???
Anyone else had this???

Old codger

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

What is the mileage is it still under warranty?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Old codger

Thanks for the replies, guys. The car is under warranty and is being fixed by the VW main agent but I was interested to see how common this is as I was told that several failures had happened since the lockdown through "lack of use".

Sorry I didn't follow the newbie protocols. Been 22 years since I was a newbie on the Scooby forums so it's a while since I've been a newbie on anything!!!

Touranasaurus

As a further comment, we also have a 2015 Skoda Fabia with the 1.2 TSI engine, its done about 9,000 miles in 5 years, again a low mileage but touch wood has been fine, it gets used about 3 times a week, and perversely has been driven every day during lockdown! Both the vehicles I have mentioned are the 4 cyl 1.2 TSI is yours the 4 or 3 cylinder?

Old codger

Hi,
Mine is the 3 cyl. Very pleased with the car - apart from the shock of the turbo, and concern it may be a recurring issue with my 4k mileage /year!!!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is common and will get MUCH worse due to this engines increasing widespread use. You can't extract circa 120 BHP from a tiny 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and expect it to be reliable in the real world, imagine what it's going to be like when these are abused and never serviced, they will drop like flies!... the entire concept is from the mindless panic to reduce Co2 emissions from private cars and not touch businesses and domestic levels by anymore than can be achieved by gentle cajoling as it is a vote loser and cars are a traditional soft target.

Old codger

Yes it is common and will get MUCH worse due to this engines increasing widespread use. You can't extract circa 120 BHP from a tiny 1 litre 3 cylinder engine and expect it to be reliable in the real world, imagine what it's going to be like when these are abused and never serviced, they will drop like flies!... the entire concept is from the mindless panic to reduce Co2 emissions from private cars and not touch businesses and domestic levels by anymore than can be achieved by gentle cajoling as it is a vote loser and cars are a traditional soft target.

This was not an engine malfunction but a suspected turbo design issue.

Nowadays, 120 reliable BHP from a 1 litre turbo engine is fine. 100 BHP/litre from a normally aspirated racing engine was the target from a well designed/built engine in the '60's and 70's (sadly not the 3 main bearing crank Mini engines of the day:( ) but they were very unreliable. Getting a reliable 400+BHP from a 2 litre Imprezza engine is common (I had 2 which I took from standard to that level - the first I sold at 70k miles and many track days when it would hit 9k rrpm when excited!)

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
It is the highly strung engine breaking down the oil and the first part to suffer is the plain bearing turbo as the cam is roller. VW's downsized engines are becoming a liability.

Old codger

Turbo and actuator replaced. It was the actuator that causes the problem if they are driven too gently/intermittently it sticks. Design fault in actuator, so not overstressed engines/oil breakdown.

Garage did a good job, fully valeted and sanitised. I will be notified if there is a recall, meanwhile they suggest I go on the motorway and give it a workout. NOT what you expect to have to do with a car in 2020!!

Leoniki

:eek:
2018 Polo 1.0 TSI auto.

Amber engine warning light + EPC on. Handbook said take to dealer. 3 weeks later, dealers open, looked at today:p
Told turbo has gone needs replacement!!!!
Said they had several over the last few weeks and believe it is through lack/low use!
In 50 years of modifying high performance cars, I've never come across this.
Surely a design fault???
Anyone else had this???

Old codger
This just happened to me 2 weeks ago, I‘ve owned many polos from new, and never had this problem. Bought new July 2019 done 4800 miles. Not used as often as normal due to lock down, had new actuator + turbo under warranty. Neighbour suggested combination of turbo with a small engine may cause the problem?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The turbo gets too hot as it is being worked too hard to achieve the reduced CO2 that is more important than anything else... apparently. When we take them off and present them to Midland Turbo for rebuild, roughly half are irreparably damaged and we have seen a number of the ones we take off clearly having had a new actuator recently, it is the wastegate flap pivot bushings which are the cause, not the actuator. You can reduce the problem by using Shell V Power fuel which APPEARS to lower the exhaust gas temperatures, remapping these tiny overworked engines is not a good idea for longevity, 5k mile oil changes are extremely desirable and the most important thing to do is “spool & cool”, it is vital. When you pull up in the service station or after a good thrash, the turbo can be spinning at over 100k rpm and at around 900 degrees Celsius, it is still spinning and boiling its small amount of oil whilst you are sipping your coffee so what you MUST do is allow the engine to idle for a few minutes after parking, slowing down and cooling down the turbo so the turbine stops spinning much sonnet and less heat is dumped into the oil.

Don’t blame the manufacturers of the cars or the parts though, it is the ridiculous CO2 reduction demands demanded by the EU on pain of huge fines, and I mean HUGE! It’s OK though if you are a company like Volvo, they can’t get their corporate tailpipe CO2 figures down quick enough so they buy “credits” off Tesla who have no “tailpipe” emissions but whose cars cause circa 75k miles of ADDITIONAL CO2 during production, it’s just that it doesn't come out the back so it’s OK... What a load of ****. Geely own Polestar and Volvo, they have admitted it will take one of their full electric cars 50k of driving before it is even equal in CO2 production to the internal combustion engined car with 0 miles on the clock and another 25k miles before it is clearly ahead. Then in 25k miles the battery runs out of warranty so the car is worthless.

nivek62

Interesting reading! I always used to let my previous car tick over after a run, because I was told it was "better for the turbo." I asked the question when I brought the new t-cross, but was just sort of laughed at saying you don't have to do that with modern engines. After reading your explanation of "spool & cool" I think I'm going to start again. Many thanks.

nivek62

Just a futher thought on the turbo running without lubrication.
Say you've just come off a motorway, get to the top of the slip road & the traffic is standing or the traffic lights are red. The Stop/Start system cuts in. Surely is self destruct, or does the turbo get oil in some way?

Izzi03

Same issue here on my wife's 2015 1.2tsi Polo. Engine management light came on and EPC. Took it to local garage and they said turbo seized with carbon and actuator broke. Car is 5 years old so out of warranty and done just 26k. Wife has started working from home during lockdown so car has hardly been used just the odd local run. Phoned local VW and they said for £60 they will do an inspection, they have a scheme where they will submit a report to head office where they will decide if any percentage will be knocked off the repair cost. The service manager said you might get 100% or you might get nothing, worth a punt for £60.
Will post how i get on.
Local garage has quoted £1200 for new turbo fitted. Tempted to buy one from a breakers for £250 but obviously i'm taking a chance.
Cost to have the turbo reconditioned and a new actuator is £395 then there's cost of removal and refitting on top plus gaskets.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t buy new or used, send your unit to Midland Turbo in Nottingham, they have done a quite a few for us recently and on Wednesday even recommended a garage local to them to pass the entire job over to us and it will arrive on a flat bed on Monday. The amount the rebuild costs depends on the damage and they make a modification which will hopefully prevent reoccurrence of the problem. Last week we threw an A3 with the 1.4 version back at another garage (in very close proximity to the aforementioned) who had charged the chap £1k for a rebuilt turbo, it was filling the exhaust with oil and the fasteners on the turbo were rusted solid, the actuator was new but we now realise it is a mistake to try this, just remove and have MT rebuild it.

Turbo man

This just happened to me 2 weeks ago, I‘ve owned many polos from new, and never had this problem. Bought new July 2019 done 4800 miles. Not used as often as normal due to lock down, had new actuator + turbo under warranty. Neighbour suggested combination of turbo with a small engine may cause the problem?
I have the basic T-Cross S 1.0 LTR new from launch in 2019, 95 bhp - just had the EPC warning light on and also the 'auto start/stop error' message as well. Was advised by VW service not to drive the car this could cause more damage. Suggested car was recovered to them for investigation.
Mileage is 6800.
Service informed me that it was a seized turbo and actuator fault.
Good job it was under warranty. a replacement turbo unit was £2,135 !
Thought this was shocking really with so little mileage on the clock and for a VW as well. Maybe it is the low emissions as suggested in this thread, and that you should let it tick over after a run for a few minutes?? Any more thoughts on this view??

Last edited:

saint

We are just taking one off a Polo, same issue. These little engines have to work too hard.
My Daughter has a 1.2 2014 polo four cylinder , if the turbo goes nuts is this a job a reasonable home mechanic
can do? Get a replacement from midland and fit it ?
Would an additive (moly) help ? Cheers .