Turbo gone after 6k miles/18 months. Anyone else???

Sparkie

:eek:
2018 Polo 1.0 TSI auto.

Amber engine warning light + EPC on. Handbook said take to dealer. 3 weeks later, dealers open, looked at today:p
Told turbo has gone needs replacement!!!!
Said they had several over the last few weeks and believe it is through lack/low use!
In 50 years of modifying high performance cars, I've never come across this.
Surely a design fault???
Anyone else had this???

Old codger
Just had the same with a SEAT Ibiza 95 bhp 1 ltr. The car has 17,800 miles and is three and a half years old. Took to independent who is fixing but SEAT will do nothing unless it is towed, tested and fixed at their dealers. Looking at £2000.

Turbo man

The replacement cost of my Turbo on my VW T-Cross S 95 BHP was £2135 the dealer told me......think there needs to be an urgent recall by VW...maybe modifications of this part are required? Does anyone else agree? Maybe VW will sit up and take notice of this growing thread of comments? Was still under warranty so I did not have to pay that...but car had only done 6800 miles, so this must be a design fault?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Sort of a design fault... It isn't dangerous so VOSA won't make it a recall. Them problem is short journeys, when the car is only driven for short journey, water water the exhaust (a natural by-product of burning petrol) is not burnt off fully and rises as steam up to the turbo where it condenses. The exhaust side of the turbo is made from cast iron and the spindle is made from a high heat resistant steel and the bore for the spindle stats to rust and expand the metal which puts strain on the nylon drive gears in the actuator which then strip. Our turbo company modify the bore to prevent this happening, they won't say how and I haven't stripped on down but if I was doing it I would sleeve the bore with an phosphor bronze bush, the same material used for exhaust valve guides.

JamesMk5

By just reading the shear number of people who have had this issue and how soon it is happening it reminds me of when VW had to do a recall on the mk5 golfs with their bad injectors.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
If you are referring to the 170 PD BMN injector recall then that was a safety related issue as it would shut the engine down without warning, with the turbo condensation induced corrosion issue it causes a loss of power. If they did a recall, they would need to get the manufacturer (Mitsubishi IHI in the cases we have seen) to redesign the spindle to stop the rot so to speak 🙂

JamesMk5

Oh i didn't know it was a safety recall, but would totally makes sense not being safe if the car stops when one fails. Just googled it and wow it affected a lot of different engines in the Passat C3 (BKP, BVE, BMA, BWV, BMR, and BUZ engine) all the other models just being the BMN like you said.

duffieldjohn

Don’t buy new or used, send your unit to Midland Turbo in Nottingham, they have done a quite a few for us recently and on Wednesday even recommended a garage local to them to pass the entire job over to us and it will arrive on a flat bed on Monday. The amount the rebuild costs depends on the damage and they make a modification which will hopefully prevent reoccurrence of the problem. Last week we threw an A3 with the 1.4 version back at another garage (in very close proximity to the aforementioned) who had charged the chap £1k for a rebuilt turbo, it was filling the exhaust with oil and the fasteners on the turbo were rusted solid, the actuator was new but we now realise it is a mistake to try this, just remove and have MT rebuild it.
Hi Crasher,
My daughter appears to have this problem on her 1.0TSi Ibiza. We got the car from Motorpoint in July at just over 3 years old and 26,000 miles. We bought the extended warranty but the warranty company are rejecting the claim based on the fact that the SEAT dealer have said that it is corrosion between the control rod and the actuator and corrosion isn't covered under the warranty. (I suspect though that the dealer has just looked at the fault codes and the corrosion issue is the first one they've come to). SEAT are proposing to change the control rod, but there's a 5 to 6 week lead time for the part.
From what you've said in previous posts though there's a good chance it's the turbo itself, which would increase the costs, but might change the warranty position. One problem is she's in Kent and I'm near Derby, but I'm inclined to get the car up here and go to an independent, (yourself maybe if I knew where you were). Having said that I don't know whether the car can be driven 200+ miles. Any advice would be welcome. .

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I am Derby born but live and work in Nottingham just off the A610. Yes the warranty company are using it as an excuse, most warranties are not worth the paper they are written on and only cover mechanical breakdown. Yes the problem is caused by corrosion from condensation and Midland turbo re-sleeve the bore in a corrosion resistant metal. We haven’t seen any repeat failures yet but it is early days.