Updating lights

Hobo Mikey

Have a 2015 Passat estate. Is there a just swop the bulbs over upgrade I can do to the lights like white led bulbs.I noticed that my driving lights look yellowish. Any info appreciated. (y)

Gazwould

Go to a Passat forum where you can post more freely !

LED aren't straight forward both in fitting and Canbus errors and of course the preverbial...

Have had great Kelvin fix with a road legal 5000K bulb .

Stock H7
2020-03-23 19.00.09.png

Ring Xenon +130%
2020-03-23 19.00.40.png

Ultra 5000K
2019-02-05 17.22.18.png
2019-02-18 08.48.47.png

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Fitting LED bulbs into an exterior light unit designed for incandescent Halogen bulbs is illegal and an MOT failure, in theory... and the body control module would pick it up as an error and shut the circuit down. The dipped bulbs on your car are 55w H7's and the main beam 65w H9's so I would try the Phillips Racing Vision GT200 H7 which claims to be 200% brighter whilst still be road legal but I can't seem to find anything interesting the the H9 design. As you would never use main beam when anyone is coming towards you I can't see trying an LED in the H9 causing any trouble technically speaking however you would have to code the bulb monitoring out in the body control module or you would get a false warning. It is also worth noting that the power to the bulbs is intentional reduced by typically 10% by the BCM to increase bulb life and this can be adjusted with a diagnostic system

Gazwould

Woah , haven't seen those new kids on the block , the forums where the default answer is Osram Nightbreakers will be pissed off .

What's their William Kelvin ?

Yep get into the developer coding and crank the voltage up .

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I like the softer colour, many modern lights are painfully bright. I have the Phillips 150's in at the moment and am very pleased with them, so I have ordered the 200's to test and I will report back. I fitted the 150's with brand new OE headlights and they are so bright I felt I was dazzling oncoming cars so it dip the on the electric adjuster around town.