VW Arteon Frameless Window Scratches

Mattius

Evening everyone,

I am hoping someone here will be able to help. We recently purchased a 2018 VW Arteon in yellow and we love her to bits.

We noticed there are some vertical scratches on the windows and just thought it was the previous owner not being as cautious as we are. But today after winding the window down and back up we noticed a perfect vertical scratch. We've read online and there are a number of posts about this issue with frameless windows.

Anyone else come across this? Had this issue? Or know how to fix? It's really getting me down because these cars are not cheap to buy and it seems that this is almost self harm by the car.

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Matt

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
This was an issue on cars built up to 22-05-17 and the inner and outer seals were redesigned and redesigned again for 27-01-20 production

Mattius

Morning Crasher,

Thanks for that, interesting that it was an issue up to May 2017. The car was registered in April 2018 so I'd have thought it would have the first redesigned seals.

My big concern now is that the car would most likely be out of any warranty period so god knows what that could mean. I'm going to ring the local VW dealer today and see what they can advise and just keep everything crossed they have a solution.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I can look up if it is a known problem and if there are any action codes on it but it costs me 10Euro to do it, sorry... 7 Euro

Mattius

Thanks for that mats, I've spoken with Vertu VW here in Nottingham and they checked any recalls etc and they've all been done thankfully. I know she's been less loved at her previous home than she will be here with us so I think some of the marks probably were there and as we're spending time with the car we're noticing them as time goes on.

They're going to give me a ring back later for if it's a known issue or not and hopefully give some advice. I've tried to clean where the outer fabric and rubber touches the windows best I can this morning. It appears as though it's not just a VW thing mind, I've looked on forums where everyone with Jaguars through BMW/Mini and Audi through Alfa have had this issue with frameless windows. A lot say it can be unavoidable but try to keep the bottom of the windows clean.

Really appreciate the help mate, I'm in unchartered territory for me here. It's my first German car too.

Mattius

Daybrook buddy, why? You're not going to tell me there's been nothing but horror stories there are you!?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
They are shutting it down and changing to Hyundai or Kia, can't remember which. If we have a TPS parts warranty issue, we go to West Bridgford and avoid Daybrook.

Mattius

This... May explain why there's no callback happened today then! I'll give them a ring when I'm next off and see what they can advise. Thanks for letting me know about that, didn't realise you were also around Notts.

Mattius

Oh aye, you're a damn site closer to Nottingham than me then to be fair. I'll give west bridgeford a go after the bank holiday is over. ☺️

Mattius

Can honestly say after the conversation I've just had the west bridgeford VW seem to be very helpful 👌. Thank you so much for pointing me in their direction crasher.