VW Beetle convertible flaps/covers

ironboy

Hi all

I apologise if this post is in the wrong section but I am new to the forum.

My girlfriend owns a 2003 vw beetle convertible and one of the flaps/covers that open to allow operation of the roof has stopped working and is now stuck in the fully open position. She has taken it to a garage who has told her it is a broken motor and will cost her £1,100 to replace.

I haven't had a look at it yet but understand from a quick read on the net that there were two types of flaps, hydraulic and electric. I assume we're not being taken for a complete ride and that there is actually an individual servo motor for each flap could come one tell me where I'd fine this so i can test its operation?

Are there any common faults with these that I could have a look at? Any help would be much appreciated.

Nath

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
This post is in the correct place so do not worry. First of all you must start with a fault code read of the control system and eliminate the errors one by one. Get a scan done and post the results.

68c

Sorry to restart an old thread. We have just bought a 2004 New Beetle Cabriolet. Seems a nice car to drive and puts a smile on my wife's face with the roof down. I am not sure but there seems to be missing the powered flaps the OP mentioned. The roof goes up and down OK, appears to not leak although there are a couple of scuffs where it folds. Looking on other websites it seems these flaps regularly fail so are often removed. Is this a common fault and solution? There does not seem to be anything stopping an item on the parcel sliding sideways into the mechanism. Is there something else missing or is there some kind of mod after flap removal?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I have spent a lot of time inside those things and can't picture what you mean, yes the flap motors are very unreliable but quite easy to change.

68c

Sorry, a somewhat garbled description on my part. The rear side walls have a small flap that tilts down a little as the hood lowers. I understand there should be a second set of flaps further rearwards that tilt upwards. I am not sure what else is missing. The rear parcel shelf leaves about a six inch gap either side so there is nothing to stop anything on the shelf from sliding sideways. Is this normal? I have read it it is unwise to place anything on this shelf. With roof down, when selecting up I can see an arm on each side rotating, it ends in a ball shape so assume a link rod would attach to that. I have attached a couple of photos showing the area and the motor arm, also the area behind the seat that looks as if it should have some sort of cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_183324568_resize_65.jpg
    IMG_20210730_183324568_resize_65.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210730_183318227_HDR_resize_43.jpg
    IMG_20210730_183318227_HDR_resize_43.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210730_183537432_resize_65.jpg
    IMG_20210730_183537432_resize_65.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210730_183714797_BURST000_COVER_resize_35.jpg
    IMG_20210730_183714797_BURST000_COVER_resize_35.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there are electric motor operated body coloured flaps each side, from what I can see the system has been removed. For pre 2005 model year (up VIN wvwzzz1Yz4M399000) it was hopelessly unreliable and hideously expensive to replace at £404.80 a side plus labour and painting, it is now obsolete from VW as a full unit but most of the individual parts are available but if it has all been removed… I don’t think it is a simple job to retro fit the 2005 onwards system. I had one in a week or so ago with a non opening boot and I think that was an early one and one we had in for a long time at the beginning of Lockdown V1.1 had failed motors both sides which I replaced.

68c

The motor assemblies appear to be there, I can see the arm rotating when selecting roof up. I cannot work out how the hinges attach. Do you know of an online parts catalogue I could look at to determine what is missing and find the part numbers. It looks like I need the flap, it's hinge and the link rod.
I have the VCDS-Lite diagnostic dongle and software, it showed an 'implausible position' error. Cleared the error, has not reappeared yet.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Even the genuine VW diagram is poor on the system I have at home, I will have a look what the proper VAG systems show at work.