VW Golf 1.4 - good first car?

drbob55

Hello everyone,

I am 17 and looking to start driving soon, but can't ATM due to lockdown. I have been doing some insurance quotes on possible first cars and found that insurance on the VW Golf MK4 1.4 75hp is significantly cheaper to insure and buy than even the Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo. I'm not too bothered about speed or handling, but I don't want to end up with a car that accelerates slower than most glaciers. Good fuel economy isn't a necessity, but I want it to do at least 30 ish mpg around town. A MK4 1.6 is about 200-300 pounds more to insure than the 1.4 so is it worth spending the extra to get a few more HP? I also don't really care about gadgets or equipment, not even aircon is a must for me. A cupholder and decent heater for those frosty mornings is really all I need. I would also be buying the 5dr for practicality sake. My dad pointed out that parts for German cars are very expensive. Is this true, even for a 16+ year old car like this?
Based on my requirements, Is a MK4 Golf 1.4 something you would recommend?

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
A later Golf 4 1.4 will have the BCA code 16 valve engine and these are EU4 petrol emissions standard so complaint with the upcoming T zones all over the UK. Old with high mileage these can be troublesome (valve guide wear causes a misfire) and not easy to repair as it is quite a complex engine. There is one on Autotrader for a rather strong £2k but it is low mileage and ULEZ compliant which could be very important for you. This car will still have its original DUW gearbox, unfortunately these have a terrible habit of spitting their internals out at high mileage, most over 100K miles will have been fixed or bodged in some way, often with the wrong box. Yes your dad is right about the cost of spares but I would look at it this way, boys will be boys; look at my user name... I earnt it! What would your dad rather you crash, a solid chunk of German steel or a French tin can?

drbob55

A later Golf 4 1.4 will have the BCA code 16 valve engine and these are EU4 petrol emissions standard so complaint with the upcoming T zones all over the UK. Old with high mileage these can be troublesome (valve guide wear causes a misfire) and not easy to repair as it is quite a complex engine. There is one on Autotrader for a rather strong £2k but it is low mileage and ULEZ compliant which could be very important for you. This car will still have its original DUW gearbox, unfortunately these have a terrible habit of spitting their internals out at high mileage, most over 100K miles will have been fixed or bodged in some way, often with the wrong box. Yes your dad is right about the cost of spares but I would look at it this way, boys will be boys; look at my user name... I earnt it! What would your dad rather you crash, a solid chunk of German steel or a French tin can?
Hi, thanks for your reply

Seeing as I live outside the ULEZ zone probably will never drive into it (unless I choose a university within, but still unlikely) I may just go for an older 1.4, seeing as they are cheaper to buy than the ULEZ variant. Also for some reason, the newer ULEZ 1.4 costs over £200 to TAX for the year compared to £160 for the older one. Dunno why that is. You noted a couple of common issues with that engine, so do you think the 1.6 is a more reliable choice or is it just the same engine but bored to a higher capacity?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The tax situation is farcical, the tax on my Octavia is expensive as it is 192 g/km but is EU4 petrol emissions yet someone who buys a filthy old diesel with low Co2 figure pays half what I do. It is a broken system not fit for purpose.

drbob55

The tax situation is farcical, the tax on my Octavia is expensive as it is 192 g/km but is EU4 petrol emissions yet someone who buys a filthy old diesel with low Co2 figure pays half what I do. It is a broken system not fit for purpose.
I signed your petition by the way. Thats also something I feel strongly about. Very radical approach from the government in the name of protecting the environment.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, I find it annoying because I feel it won't have any impact whatsoever on the perceived problem AND nobody voted for it. If it had been part of the Conservative manifesto I would not have voted for them. Choosing which bunch of idiots to vote for is something you will have to be thinking about in three years.

drbob55

Thank you, I find it annoying because I feel it won't have any impact whatsoever on the perceived problem AND nobody voted for it. If it had been part of the Conservative manifesto I would not have voted for them. Choosing which bunch of idiots to vote for is something you will have to be thinking about in three years.
True. A policy very un-conservative like. Makes you wonder if the current government is even 'conservative'