VW Golf DSG 1.6 TDi Diesel

Mata

Hi

Is this yet another EGR cooler failure?

7563 EGR Sensor 1
P046C [096] - Implausible Signal
Intermittent - confirmed - tested since memory cleared.

7343 EGR Sensor 2
P0407 00 [40] - Signal too low

Often the glow plug light flashes and the car goes to limp mode. Switch engine off, clears. Travel for 1 mile and then it comes on again.

Any idea whether it needs a new EGR Cooler?
Who makes the original? Is it Whaler or Pierburg?

Thanks

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Classic CAYC EGR unit failure, I will only fit genuine bought from TPS, even these have been known to fail under warranty but then it is the dealers job to sort it out. We fitted a Haas to a customers (his instance) car, it last two weeks, ECP upgraded it to a VM and that failed before we could even get the car off the lift, We fitted a Pierburg one and that has just scraped 3 years but is going again. I have even had one genuine failure after 3 years and VW were not interested in even helping. Euro are showing Pierburg but on their retail site they are nearly double the genuine £388.24 https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/424447040

Mata

Thanks.

VW claim no extra EGR failures have been recorded after the dieselgate software update!

Which brand does TPS actually supply? Is it Whaler or Pierburg?

EGR Valve PIERBURG is £193.09 at onlinecarparts.co.uk and Whaler is £193.96 including VAT. I think they are actually based in Germany.
Eurocar parts have 45% discount on their high price!

The VW part is £388.24 then £200-£400 labour! So expensive!

Autobutler etc offer a lower price c£400-£500 with 1 year warranty for parts and labour!

I even had a mechatronic failure. The accumulator cracked. It had the wrong oil from the factory. The fault is known and there was a worldwide recall except UK. The Australian government ordered VW to fix it. VW UK do not care.

I hope VW get hammered in dieselgate legal action!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Online car parts, Buy Car Parts and Autodoc are the same company in Berlin with different directors for each name they have good prices and an excellent range but God help you if there is a delivery shortfall, a picking error or warranty issue, I had a number of bad experiences with them last year on all thre counts and lost more than I saved. I have tired to claim on Autodoc's warranty and the hoops I had to jump through made it almost impossible.

The accumulator failure is not due to the wrong oil, it is because the Chinese casting is weak.

VW have already been hit with a very large hammer, the result is now they are going all electric which will be another disaster. The people who are really to blame for the Diesel cockup are the EU bureaucrats that came up with such impossible targets and the shouting heads who told us Diesel would save the planet!

Mata

Does anyone know which brand is fitted from the factory: Whaler or Pierburg?

Does anyone know which brand TPS supply?

Mata

Thanks.

Same ones on ebay shop new for £214.95, but just 1 year warranty. Described as Whaler, but label states Borg Warner - same numbers as your image.

Now, I wonder what the lowest labour cost would be!

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You mean what will the worst job I can get done cost. There are a number of gaskets and a downpipe seal clamp also required.

Mata

All websites discussed include the gaskets.

Surely a TPS Whaler is the same as any other Whaler.

I wonder what the trade price of the TPS is compared to the retail price. Could it be c£200 including VAT?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
They wont include the downpipe clamp (£24.86) and no aftermarket kit I have seen comes with the four gaskets or outlet pipe clamp. I can only say from my initial bad experience on the first one I did a good five years ago is that genuine is worth it, there are certain things I just won't compromise on as it is time down the drain. remember if it fails and you supply the part, you will have to pay the labour again and claim it back, I have been waiting 3 months for a Bosch claim so far. If you buy it genuine from the main dealer and get a competent company to fit it (you WILL need a proper VAT receipt) and you keep the receipt for both, the dealer HAS to cover the parts and labour warranty for two years. If a new clamp is not fitted it may leak or just be impossible to refit as they strain being removed, they are a daft idea anyway, the moment of movement to break it free is in line with the car so every movement of the engine back and forth puts stress on it. If there is no heat insulation over the motor, this MUST be retrofitted or else it will invalidate any warranty, that costs £20.01.

MegMegMegatron

Hi

Is this yet another EGR cooler failure?

7563 EGR Sensor 1
P046C [096] - Implausible Signal

7343 EGR Sensor 2
P0407 00 [40] - Signal too low

Often the glow plug light flashes and the car goes to limp mode. Switch engine off, clears. Travel for 1 mile and then it comes on again.

Any idea whether it needs a new EGR Cooler?
Who makes the original? Is it Whaler or Pierburg?

Thanks
I also have a Golf 1.6 TDI DSG and I had this exact issue a year ago and the EGR valve had to be replaced. Luckily mine was under a warranty. Hope you get it sorted!

Mata

They wont include the downpipe clamp (£24.86) and no aftermarket kit I have seen comes with the four gaskets or outlet pipe clamp. I can only say from my initial bad experience on the first one I did a good five years ago is that genuine is worth it, there are certain things I just won't compromise on as it is time down the drain. remember if it fails and you supply the part, you will have to pay the labour again and claim it back, I have been waiting 3 months for a Bosch claim so far. If you buy it genuine from the main dealer and get a competent company to fit it (you WILL need a proper VAT receipt) and you keep the receipt for both, the dealer HAS to cover the parts and labour warranty for two years. If a new clamp is not fitted it may leak or just be impossible to refit as they strain being removed, they are a daft idea anyway, the moment of movement to break it free is in line with the car so every movement of the engine back and forth puts stress on it. If there is no heat insulation over the motor, this MUST be retrofitted or else it will invalidate any warranty, that costs £20.01.
Do you have a list of all parts required, apart from the EGR valve that is required to change the EGR valve?

TPS say trade only and will not even provide the information.