VW polo 2010 6r brake system parts.

Rogerde

Hey all,

Please be kind here, I'm a 17y old lad looking for some advice on parts for my brakes. My brakes have been noisy/grinding prior to me having to self isolate due to covid. It's been 2 weeks after isolation and the brakes are still bad if not worse. Front brakes sounds like they are grinding and rears are making like a low toning whistle sound. The handbrake seems to come up a lot more than before, but maybe 8-10 clicks before they hold car.
I did remove one of my rear drums and noticed the inner lining of the drum has worn away a bit from where the shoes go up against whilst braking.

I'm looking at doing the work myself and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good site to purchase brake parts from and what make to go for. I'm not looking to upgrade to better brakes due to budget but just good replacement parts.

Hope someone can advise.

Appreciate any help and advice.

tditaff

In the owners manual you'll find a PR code sticker which lists all the equipment fitted to that specific vehicle.
Using a PR code decoder (google it) you can find the brake codes and specifications.
From there, use a reliable website (I use Autodoc a lot) to search for the required parts.
I would check the condition of the discs and if necessary replace those at the same time as the pads.
Any of the main brands will be decent; ATE, Pagid, Textar, EBC, TRW etc.
Also, the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years.
Brakes are the most important system on the car, use the correct procedures, the right tools for the job and torque bolts to the correct spec.

Rogerde

In the owners manual you'll find a PR code sticker which lists all the equipment fitted to that specific vehicle.
Using a PR code decoder (google it) you can find the brake codes and specifications.
From there, use a reliable website (I use Autodoc a lot) to search for the required parts.
I would check the condition of the discs and if necessary replace those at the same time as the pads.
Brakes are the most important system on the car, use the correct procedures, the right tools for the job and torque bolts to the correct spec.

Thanks tditaff for info.

Just the kind of reply I needed.
I've got a friend who is in his 3rd year car machanical apprenticeship. I'm in my second year engineering apprenticeship so I'm familiar with tools to use. I did ask him if he would help and he did say yes but said for me to find out all the info on parts so that I can learn a bit myself. I've already done some work on car with radio and fitting an amplified sub.

Thanks again.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
ATE and TRW make most of the braking system for the factory and their aftermarket parts are second to none. In the workshop, for standard work we fit Pagid discs, pads, shoes and drums and TRW or ATE calipers and Pagid also offer a number of brake system parts such as very affordable ABS sensors, brake hoses and handbrake cables plus reconditioned calipers that are very good; unfortunately ATE parts can be difficult to get hold of but most motor factors can get TRW. Also the aftermarket supplier Febi make some excellent products, I have just put their discs and pads on the back of my Octavia.

Rogerde

ATE and TRW make most of the braking system for the factory and their aftermarket parts are second to none. In the workshop, for standard work we fit Pagid discs, pads, shoes and drums and TRW or ATE calipers and Pagid also offer a number of brake system parts such as very affordable ABS sensors, brake hoses and handbrake cables plus reconditioned calipers that are very good; unfortunately ATE parts can be difficult to get hold of but most motor factors can get TRW. Also the aftermarket supplier Febi make some excellent products, I have just put their discs and pads on the back of my Octavia.
Thanks both for very informative info.
Just ordered haynes manual and about to order drums, shoes and discs and pads. Also going to replace the brake fluid. Not sure when it was done last. My friend has said he will come round and check everything I do so I should be ok.
Looking forward to a busy weekend on the car.

Thanks again.

Rogerde

Hi tditaff,
Was about to order drums, discs, shoes and pads but none of my pr codes relate to brakes, front or rear.
There is a pr sticker in my service book and in the boot by the spare wheel.
Is there any other way I can find out the information?
I've entered every 3 digit code on the sticker, it comes up with tyres, wheels, headlights, wipers windows and other stuff but none relates to the brakes.
Would I have to remove brakes and just take measurements of parts and do it that way.
Just thought I'd ask, although I'm going to have a little search on forum to see if I can get the info I need.

Thanks again.

Rogerde

Thanks just came through.

This will help with some other bits I'm thinking of doing over time.
Mainly interior.

Thanks again for your help.

Looking forward to getting me hands a bit dirty.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to getting me hands a bit dirty.
Nothing like it although I have to wear gloves as I can't get my hands clean enough and end up leaving grubby handprints all over my nice fresh paintwork and hand towels at home and Mrs Crasher gets annoyed.