VW UP! gear chatter whilst idling?

hopper

I've noticed our UP has a very audible 'chatter' whilst idling especially from cold that disappears when the clutch s depressed. I don't drive it that much and with the stop start feature I rarely hear it tick over but a couple of mornings this week I've really noticed it. Has anyone else got this on their UP? Do I need to get it investigated or is it normal for these cars?

hopper

Just been doing some surfing around net and this 'chatter' until clutch is pressed appears to be very common on the UP! with mixed opinions as to whether it is a fault or not. Some say they have returned to dealer and been advised its 'normal' but I still think I'll get it checked out.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
This is a documented issue acknowledged by VW and is the result of the car NOT having a dual Mass Flywheel, the device that has been causing some serious trouble on older cars. It is covered under the VW technical product information notice below that basically tells you there is nothing to worry about and nothing that can be done to stop it.

Rattling noise from engine bay at idle vehicles fitted with 02S 5 speed manual gearbox (UK TPI) Release date: 05-Dec-2012 Technical product information Transaction No.: 2032109/1

Customer statement / workshop findings

Rattling noise from the engine bay area with the engine running at idle.

Technical background

Neutral gear rollover noise describes the condition whereby a rattling noise from the constant mesh gearing in the transmission is heard while the engine idles with the clutch engaged (pedal released).

It is caused by engine torsional vibration and is particularly prevalent on vehicles with a single mass flywheel and low idle speed requirements. The intensity of neutral gear rollover noise will increase with transmission temperature and / or an increase of torque loading, for example air conditioning or heated rear window activation.

The rollover noise is inherent to transmission design and will disappear when a gear is selected and the vehicle is driven. The noise is not detrimental to the transmission or engine components and does not constitute a manufacturing defect.

Production change

None.

Measure

When evaluating transmission complaints please draw on the statements above when assessing the complaint, remembering to account for engine refinement, gear selection “feel”, and clutch operation.

Warranty accounting instructions

Normal warranty guidelines apply.

Parts information

No parts information.

Customer information

Neutral gear rollover noise will not negatively affect the longevity or performance of the vehicle. It is concept related and does not constitute a manufacturing defect.

S

Splitty13

Yes totally standard I am affraid, VW are aware and insiders say its just because it is cheaply built

Have had loads of these with this concern

benno64

Hi,
Just joined this forum as I have recently bought a 2008 VW 1.6FSI which has a 6 speed box and 80k on the clock, can I ask does this explanation apply to that model also as I have noticed this problem on my car

Thanks

david hughes

I've noticed our UP has a very audible 'chatter' whilst idling especially from cold that disappears when the clutch s depressed. I don't drive it that much and with the stop start feature I rarely hear it tick over but a couple of mornings this week I've really noticed it. Has anyone else got this on their UP? Do I need to get it investigated or is it normal for these cars?
i have a 2015 plate and have the same problem noisy when its cold push the clutch in and it goes when the engine is at running temperature it goes away

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The inherent uneven running of a 3 cylinder engine creates pulses that make the gearbox input shaft rattle and is annoying but completely normal. A new or rebuilt gearbox may not chatter so much as the bearing preloads are higher but what is really needs is a dual mass flywheel and I don’t know of one. The DMF was originally invented by KFW in the early 70’s for Porsche who were having customer feedback problems about input shaft rattle, it worked but was a reliability disaster and was withdrawn. It has taken another company LUK to bring the DMF to where it is today in being reliable and effective.