Hi all,

Now I own a classic I'm looking for recommendations on your favourite

Washes
Waxes
Polishes
Tyre Care
Chrome care
Seat cover care
And anything to keep window rubbers from cracking?

Along with any preferred application cloths or drying microcloths or can you still not beat a decent chamois?

Interested to know if anyone has used mid range and decided to move to something more expensive and seen a difference. Or have people just gone for it and put their trust in the most expensive believing it to be the best protection for their pride and joy?

Any other gadgets you use that could help always a welcome addition to my aging wash kit!

Cheers

Rich

Sam&Anne

Always used AutoGlym products in the trade since the early 70's. There will be doubtless be alternatives now but I have never found a reason to change.
Meguiars cloth products IMO better than any chamois.

Last edited:

Touranasaurus

On the VW daily driver I use Auto Glym too. April and September I after a thorough wash with car Shampoo I use Clay Bar & Rapid Detailer, followed by Super Resin Polish and topped off with Wax. Aqua Wax is used to 'dry off' after each intermediate wash - probably monthly.

On my '83 Metro, which leads a more pampered existence, it has a yearly Clay Bar, Super Resin and Wax followed by Aqua Wax after each wash. Its generally kept covered in the garage, and doesn't get left out in the rain etc.

I also use Auto Glym's Clean Wheels, Engine and Machinery Cleaner, Tyre Dressing, Vinyl 'stuff' and the car fabric deodoriser. The spray on Alloy wheel sealer is very good too and lasts about 6 months, once you get the wheels clean it does a good job of preventing brake dust adhering to the surface. I do tend to remove my alloy wheels at least 3 times a year for a thorough clean.

Tricky_Luck

Thank you, another vote for Autoglym then. I used the resin on my 2001 Civic Type-R and was impressed but wondered if classics were happier with something else but it seems not.

Never even heard of using clay bar before looks like a fine way of decontaminating before application.

Sounds like the wheels and tyres and interior are also cared for by AG sounds like I'm not going to go far wrong sticking with tried and trusted,

Cheers

Rich

Touranasaurus

Yes the Clay bar did a good job on my classic, I've only done it the once though. Its very good at getting tar spots and other almost invisible contaminants out of the surface of the daily driver.

Tricky_Luck

Thanks again to all here, AG has done an amazing job, forgotten how therapeutic it was away from the world for a day. Still some bits to finish off but nearly there. Daughter helped finish off the waxing and as a teenager was reluctant at first but when she saw the buffing cloth sliding off the bonnet I've never seen her so chuffed with herself 😁👍

Just for anyone else reading this saw tons of reviews on the silverback drying cloth and I can thoroughly recommend it. I went old school on the chrome with Autosol metal polish and 0000 grade wire wool to remove rust spots and it seems to have come up a treat. The Autosol says it protects but if anyone knows of something else that gives more protection, happy to hear any views!

I bought a full set of AG in a pack for everything , Touranasaurus, can I check with you what product did you use in your sills,, still AG or do you use a waxoyl type protection?

Cheers

Rich

Touranasaurus

Tricky_Luck;121249Touranasaurus, can I check with you what product did you use in your sills,, still AG or do you use a waxoyl type protection?

Cheers

Rich

I've used clear Waxoyl internally within the sills and any structural cavities I could get to. Externally I have brushed on black Waxoyl on all the surfaces I could get to. In the wheel arches and on the lower sills(which the factory finish was black) I have sprayed on Upol Gravitex stone chip.

OliverSmith

I'd highly recommend Zaino Bros. products here. We've used it on every car we have owned from the Exotics to the Pick-ups. There are a few dealers around, but I have mainly bought it on-line or at car shows. It's pretty easy to put and take off and have learned the more coats the better. Brings out a gorgeous luster of the paint. And it lasts! We live down on the Gulf Coast with lots of salt air, so it is important to us to have great paint protection. Good luck with the new ride!

Last edited: