Weird engine sound?

play99s

Hello, guys maybe someone can give me a quick hand with this the engine is making this weird noise you can hear in the video, it started last night when I was coming back home and it goes really bad at low speeds, not so bad at higher speeds or between 35-40 mph. Thank you.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Does it sound even worse when you rev it? The underlying thump thump thump noise will be coming from the air cleaner inlet and is symptomatic of a failed valve lifter and damaged camshaft, this has always be a weakness on the 8 valve PDTDI.

play99s

@Crasher Yes, when I do rev it's even worse. I guess it's really expensive to fix, isn't it? :( Forgot to mention its a VW Jetta 2006 TDi sorry about that.

Gazwould

What's the engine code ?

As above , due to narrow PD camshaft lobes that make for high loadings against their flat bucket tappets .

images (1) (1).jpeg Lifters.JPG

A new camshaft kit is what you need .

I'm very interested in the service history intervals and actual engine oil used ?

play99s

@Gazwould to be honest I am not sure I just drop it to at the service and they did the oil change not sure on what brand they used probably can check if I see the bill on It pro, much history it didn't have when I bought it 3 years ago but I tried to keep it as a thing that I needed and wanted to have and to take care of since it was mine. I see a new camshaft but my question is should I Scrap/sell it and get a new car or is it too expensive to fix ? ... :( All I can tell you from what the previous owner had it, it had on-time oil changes and ok maintenance on it same when I had it. Also, how do I find the engine code?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Using a good quality aftermarket kit with a billet steel cam, professionally fitted with a cam belt kit and water pump it is a £1500 job