Wheel bearing installation

diyspanner

For those of us who don't have a press, can an M12 long bolt and nut with some body washes be used to pull the new bearing into the hub?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
In theory yes but I don't think something like M12x1.5 would pull it, you would need a 1mm pitch thread (like low gearing) and you would need a LOT of (just under 74mm) washers to stop them bending.

diyspanner

Or perhaps unistrut threaded bar and brackets. The old outer race can be used to push against the new bearing. A large jubilee clip to keep the races mated while the new bearing is pulled into the hub.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
You would need to grind down the OD of the old outer a few thou so it does not get stuck. Remember there are some pretty large forces at play here, if you clip let go you could lose a digit. Before I bought my WWII era ex RAF press (it must be 80 years old and in perfect working order) I used to use tut big copper ammer and a wheel bearing race kit plus old bearings I collected on the vice but I broke vices and was sprayed with high carbon steel shrapnel a number of times... I used to have a season ticket for A&E, especially the eye department.

diyspanner

This is my idea!

full