Where is the glow plug relay/control united located

paperdetective

I have to replace the glow plug relay/control unit of my VW Polo from 1998 (so 1994-199 series) SDI, since the car won't start anymore and it is no battery nor alternator issue.
Howeevr, I have no clue where that unit would be located, so plugged in. It should be in the motor area, right? Can someone tell me where precisely?

paperdetective

It is above the fuse box on the drivers side. Anyway, less about the car, is that a Norwegian Forest or Maine Coon?
Thanks very much for the tip.
Yes, that is a picture of our so beloved 12 year old Maine Coon Ace who unexpectedly passed away last year. Is your kitty a Norwegian Forest one?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Sprocket, a Norwegian Forest cat, he wandered into the workshop of my friend across the car park at least a decade ago and stole my heart... so I stole him. He lived at the workshop until hit by a rat runner and I found him the next day in a bad way and he has been at home ever since.

the day he turned up

https://flic.kr/p/2kZC8i8
And as he is today, fat and happy

https://flic.kr/p/2kUqgjr
my life is VAG but will be cats and Beetles when I retire.

paperdetective

Sprocket sounds and looks wonderful. Having cats is addictive. Ace his brother Benny is now already our third Maine Coon and we have two other kitties. My wife and I are both cat addicts. It would be great to be able to run a cat refuge some day. I guess betles are addictive too. Understandable. Our old VW Polo diesel has also been the greatest car we ever had, so we will get another one to replace this oldie next year, of the same generation. Never had such a low maintenance and fuel efficient car as this one.
Our Maine Coons are of course high maintenance. They are very attached to their owners, not houses, and usually to one specific one and very intelligent. Benny traveled to several countries, 3700 miles from Boston to Leide in the Netherlands, 2000 kms from Leiden to Spain, 2250 kms from Spain back to the Netherlands. The other two are also major travelers, one even all the way from Russia. My wife supports an animal rescue in Russia by managing their web pages. Our cats are like our babies.

paperdetective

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There was a significant but almost invisible complete redesign of the 6N1 electrics, could you private message me the cars UK REG or VIN?

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
The OE number is 357 911 253 and this transfers to the TOPRAN 107 258 you linked to. This car has the later electrical system and this relay is on the main rack under the dash with the number 103 printed on top.

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the 50amp fuse on the battery? It is further back and higher up, you have to take the under dash panel out. As it is wrong hand drive I don't have any pictures or much experience on that system, thankfully thee engines are rare here.

paperdetective

The fuse on the battery is a metal fuse on top of the battery. I tested that and it does not seem to have any problem. I guess I will have to have it towed to a VAG garage here. This goes beyond my possibilities.