UK Volkswagen Forum banner

Which gearbox types fit the AGG engine?

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Crasher 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a golf 3, -97, 2.0, AGG engine with a DFQ gearbox with broken reverse gear, so I need a replacement gearbox. Problem is i cannot find any DFQ gearbox, but maybe others fit as well? Does anyone know which ones fit and which don't?
I went to my local VW and they had no clue...

Many many thanks in advance! =]

#2 ·
The Golf 3 uses a 28 spline input shaft like the Golf 2 16v but the Golf 3 needs specially selected ratios to make it drive well, sort off. A CHE and AMC are the same as a DFQ and remember to include the Seat models with this box in your search as they used the DFQ box and there was a DGD used in the Toledo which has the same exchnage part number as the others.

#3 ·
Thanks alot for the reply! :)
So the DFQ, CHE, AMC from Volkswagen + DFQ/DGD from SEAT toledos is what i should look for?

How about the CHB from the 1.8 Golf 3? I notice the ratios are a little different - 0.850:1(CHB), compared to 0.805:1 (DFQ) for the fifth gear. Other than that I'll have ~5% higher rev at the same speed, are there any issues with using that one? Will it fit? (I've found a cheap one)

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Mk2 digi-2e agg conversion

The Golf 3 uses a 28 spline input shaft like the Golf 2 16v but the Golf 3 needs specially selected ratios to make it drive well, sort off. A CHE and AMC are the same as a DFQ and remember to include the Seat models with this box in your search as they used the DFQ box and there was a DGD used in the Toledo which has the same exchnage part number as the others.
Man this is handy stuff as my reverse is getting noisy and try's to jump out if I rev too quickly.. cheers crasher

#6 · (Edited)
The box codes I listed are the ones that will work correctly, if you wish to screw up the way your car drives just to get it moving because it is "cheap", that is up to you....
Hello again,
I took your advice and didn't buy the cheap box :p
How about the CRU box? I've found one from a -96 Passat with AGG engine - will it fit?
Generally can we say that if the box was fitted to an AGG engine it will fit my AGG, or are there any other differences?

Thanks!

Edit:
I did some research and found out that the CRU is acually a 02A gearbox, not a 020. Found a DGD box from a SEAT toledo that I bought today - thanks again for that tips!

Here's a nice table of all gearbox codes if anyone is interested btw: http://zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm

#7 ·
Hi I'm Kyle and IV been reading all theses messages as I have a agg 2l petrol mk3 sadly driveshaft went through gearbox,. IV been haven issue on what box to get .. thank you also for the help .. here's a question,, where would the code stamp be on the gearbox .. kind regards Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.