Window Wipers not working

Gozzy

Hi, my wipers stopped working a while back and after checking fuses and relays thought the motor had packed up. Bought a used motor and fitted that but still no good.

I'm using Odbeleven app for diagnostics which gives me 2 error codes, one relating to the wiper motor and one related to the local data bus both saying no signal/communication. I can clear the codes but they come back immediately after a rescan.

The wiper water spray works fine so it's not related to the bonnet catch not working either.

The issue could also be related to the fact my headlamp adjustment motor is constantly searching for a position so the motor is constantly moving the head lamps. Around the same time the headlight dash light has stopped working too.
The blue Full beam works fine just the green headlight doesn't.

I've tried disconnecting the wiper motor cable to see if that stopped the headlight motor issue and vice versa and also swapped over the BCM from a 2010 Caddy Maxi but still no luck.

Has anyone got and ideas of what to try next please?

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using Odbeleven app for diagnostics which gives me 2 error codes, one relating to the wiper motor and one related to the local data bus both saying no signal/communication. I can clear the codes but they come back immediately after a rescan.

The wiper water spray works fine so it's not related to the bonnet catch not working either.

How long is a piece of string?

Odbeleven is a generic scanner.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

Do you have the correct fuse and relay layout?

Gozzy

Do the heater blower and headlights work?

Yea they work fine, I've been through every fuse and checked them. Also swapped every relay under the steering wheel.

Are there any more modules apart from the ecu that could be to blame? Baffled ��

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect the the motor plug and check for 12v across pins 1 and 2, if there is no voltage check fuse 31 in the engine bay fuse box. If there is voltage across the two pins then you need to check the continuity of the violet/white wire at pin 4 back to plu F pin 3 on the central electrics computer under the dash, I have had a few cases of this wire breaking and it is a sketch to replace so I run a fresh one through. This wire carries the LIN BUS command signals from the computer.

Gozzy

Disconnect the motor plug and check for 12v across pins 1 and 2, if there is no voltage check fuse 31 in the engine bay fuse box. If there is voltage across the two pins then you need to check the continuity of the violet/white wire at pin 4 back to plu F pin 3 on the central electrics computer under the dash, I have had a few cases of this wire breaking and it is a sketch to replace so I run a fresh one through. This wire carries the LIN BUS command signals from the computer.

The pins on my wiper motor cable are the opposite so pins 3 and 4 are the live and ground and pin 1 is the violet/white wire. I do get 12v from pin 3 and 4.

I then tried the continuity from pin 4 to all pins on the central computer connector which all show OL. There is no pin 3 connection which is why I just tried them all.

I then tried pin 4 on the motor and tested all pins on the computer cable. All gave a zero result apart from 9,10,19,20 which gave OL so I'm assuming theres a relay between those. Pin 5 gives a reading of 1.025 though so could this be the problem cable, to get a slight reading like that could mean a small break in the cable somewhere?

I've attached pictures of the cable plug, hopefully you can understand my rambling lol

Thanks for the ideas and info, greatly appreciated. I feel like we're getting closer to a solution ;)

DSC_1095_compress5.jpg DSC_1094_compress28.jpg

Last edited:

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
There is no relay, the motor is digitally operated by a LIN BUS signal down the violet/white wire to pin 4 of the four pin motor plug where only 3 are used. If you have no continuity back to plug F pin 3 on the computer then the wire is broken.

Gozzy

There is no relay, the motor is digitally operated by a LIN BUS signal down the violet/white wire to pin 4 of the four pin motor plug where only 3 are used. If you have no continuity back to plug F pin 3 on the computer then the wire is broken.

It's hard to tell on the pictures but pin 3 is blank and pin 5 is the possible problem. You've definitely sent me in the right direction so I'm going to investigate further tomorrow. Really appreciate the detail of your posts and I'll let you know how I get on :D

Gozzy

You mean pin 3...

Well it turns out I was testing the wrong thing completely all due to my learning curve :rolleyes:

So I've now found the correct Plug F but this still doesn't have a pin 3 connection. I've attached pics of the unit showing the codes and also attached one that show Plug F and spread the wires as much as possible so you can see.

Regardless I tested every connection for continuity with the signal wire on the wiper motor and all are open so as soon as I know which wire I'll start the daunting wire trace task :lol:

DSC_1107_compress70.jpg DSC_1106_compress64.jpg DSC_1109_compress45.jpg

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
Grey/Yellow at position 1, red/black at 2, brown at 7, blue/yellow at 8, white/green at 13, grey/yellow at 14 and black/white at 16 shows that is plug E not F...

Gozzy

Grey/Yellow at position 1, red/black at 2, brown at 7, blue/yellow at 8, white/green at 13, grey/yellow at 14 and black/white at 16 shows that is plug E not F...

Finally found the bugger ;)

As you quite rightly said I was looking at plug E. So I've tested the pesky signal wire on plug F and it's open, I also tested one of the headlight wires back to another plug on the module just to confirm my meter is working and that showed 0 so all good.

I should be able to run a test wire from the motor plug through the drivers window and into pin3 plug F and make sure 100% that the wipers work. It's been that long since I've seen them move it'll be nice to actually see them work :p

All the electrics are exposed under the dash so if anyone needs any pictures of the wiring etc let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks again for your help

Crasher

Administrator
Staff member
I am possibly the most fanatical person it is possible to be about wiring, its routing and visual appearance matching OE but when I have had this issue I run a new wire through a grommet hole in the cover plate under the motor and protect the wire by putting it inside 3mm bore rubber vacuum tube. When someone is paying you to do the job, sometimes you have to be pragmatic and compromise.

Gozzy

Well I finally got round to having another look at the wiper motor.

Admittedly a bit gung ho so I cut the purple/white wire at the motor and also done the same on plug F pin 3. I then twisted on another wire (had to shut the bonnet and feed it through) to create a new wire. Tried the wipers and nothing :-(
I cleared the fault code and still no good. Even fitted the old motor back on and still no joy :mad:

One thing I have realised is that the engine and gearbox must have been replaced together from the same donor car. I always thought it was a BST engine with a HHN gearbox fitted. I've found a code on the engine which is HGL which I can't find much info on apart from when I searched ebay and it found a BKD HGL so I'm assuming it's some variant of the Bkd?

The reason I'm mentioning this is maybe the Ecu, control modules etc have been swapped or even coded to work with the wioers/headlights etc. The wiper did used to work but the van had been sat for a few weeks with a dead battery and since I got it going again the wipers have never worked.

I've got an engine support being delivered on Thursday so ill be working on getting the gearbox out so have a couple days to try and fix the wiper issue.

P.S I'm sure you'll be having nightmares about the quick test wiring I did but don't worry I will fix it properly using your 3mm shielding advice ;-)
I'd love to be able to go over every wire and understand what they do but my brain is currently too fried with gearbox and engine investigations lol

Gozzy

Got this info from my scan tool, the mileage recorded matches the car mileage so at least I know it's the original ecu

It's fun this :)

VIN: WV1ZZZ2KZ6X041646
Car: Volkswagen Caddy
Year: 2006
Body type: VAN
Engine: BST 51 kW (70 HP) 2.0 l
Mileage: 534110 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
09 Central Electrics

System description: Bordnetz-SG H37
Software number: 3C0937049D
Software version: 1002
Hardware number: 3C0937049D
Hardware version: 063
Serial number: 00000005096278
Long coding: 00884F030004100000000000000000000008FB075C

Subsystems:
System description: Fehler Lin-Slave 01

Trouble codes:
02071 - Local data bus No signal/communication
static
00153 - Driver windshield wiper motor No signal/communication
static

Keithuk

Super Moderator
Staff member
VAG Error Code: 02071

Fault Location:
Local Data Bus - Electrical Fault in Circuit/No Signal/Communication/Defective

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Control Modules connected to Local Data Bus not functioning.

Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Control Modules in Local Data Bus faulty.
Control Module in Local Data Bus faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Control Modules in Local Data Bus.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Control Module in Local Data Bus.

Special Notes:
When found in Combination with 00153, check Special Notes.

When this fault code is flagged, it is important to check other control modules for fault codes. Different slave modules for different systems may be on the same bus (wire), thus one failed item causes several other items no longer perform to factory design.

VAG Error Code: 00153

Fault Location:
Windshield Wiper Motor: Driver Side (V216) - No Signal/Communication/Lower Limit Exceeded

Possible Cause:
Front Wiper not functioning,

Fuse(s).
Bonnet/Hood Switch (F266) faulty.
Wiring/Connector(s).
Windshield Wiper Motor Driver Side (V216) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Engine Hood Contact Switch.
Check/Replace Windshield Wiper Motor Driver Side (V216).

Special Notes:
When found in VW Golf (1K): Central Electronics (in Combination with 02071), check for Aftermarket Xenon installation.
Aftermarket Xenon installations may destroy the Wiper Electronics, installations like this are usually illegal and use H7 Bulb mounts for the Xenon bulbs.

As taken from my new EOBD II Fault Codes Software